A request for guidance

Apr 29, 2012
Good evening pool friends. I am hoping that I can pick your brains for some guidance about an issue I am having with my pool. My wife and I purchased our pre-owned home 6 months ago. The home came with an existing pool that was installed anywhere from 3-5 years ago. It seems that the pool wasn't well cared for by the previous owners. I live far from a pool store and have a basic test kit with a better one on order. Here are the problems I am having with my pool along with some actions taken.

1) Pool has generator installed running at 90%. Chlorine continues to taper to zero within a day and a half of spiking it to ~5ppm with liquid bleach. The cell was completely clogged with deposits. I soaked it in a 1:5 water to acid solution. It took over an hour to dissolve the deposits. It is now clean, but the same drop in chlorine occurs.

2) PH sits at a pretty solid 7.8. I can put 2 quarts of acid in and circulate. PH goes to 7.4 for the day and returns to 7.8 the following day. So far I have put in about 5 gallons of acid in the last 4 months. I am now following the TFP recommendation of dropping the pH to 7.2 and aerating back to 7.6.

3) Pool has artificial rock on the deck that sits in in the water. There is a significant buildup of scale on the tile and rocks. I tried using a diluted muriatic acid (1:5) scrub. After 15 minutes I had cleaned 6 inches of water line to about 50% completion. I noticed the solution and scrubbing was removing the rock paint. I stopped.

4) Unrelated to my cleaning attempts, many areas on the artificial rocks have either peeling or worn off paint. What is the best way to make them look good again?

I had taken a water sample to the pool shop when we first moved in. The report I was given (which I cannot find now) stated that my CYA was high but acceptable. My pH was 7.8. My TC and FC were 0ppm. Salt was a bit low and I added some. Now my salt sensor tells me I have 3100ppm. Phosphates were almost non-existant. CH, I cannot remember the value, but I seem to recall he didn't balk at the result either. TA is currently 2200ppm.

Kwantum said:
Good evening pool friends. I am hoping that I can pick your brains for some guidance about an issue I am having with my pool. My wife and I purchased our pre-owned home 6 months ago. The home came with an existing pool that was installed anywhere from 3-5 years ago. It seems that the pool wasn't well cared for by the previous owners. I live far from a pool store and have a basic test kit with a better one on order. Here are the problems I am having with my pool along with some actions taken.

1) Pool has generator installed running at 90%. Chlorine continues to taper to zero within a day and a half of spiking it to ~5ppm with liquid bleach. The cell was completely clogged with deposits. I soaked it in a 1:5 water to acid solution. It took over an hour to dissolve the deposits. It is now clean, but the same drop in chlorine occurs.

2) PH sits at a pretty solid 7.8. I can put 2 quarts of acid in and circulate. PH goes to 7.4 for the day and returns to 7.8 the following day. So far I have put in about 5 gallons of acid in the last 4 months. I am now following the TFP recommendation of dropping the pH to 7.2 and aerating back to 7.6.

3) Pool has artificial rock on the deck that sits in in the water. There is a significant buildup of scale on the tile and rocks. I tried using a diluted muriatic acid (1:5) scrub. After 15 minutes I had cleaned 6 inches of water line to about 50% completion. I noticed the solution and scrubbing was removing the rock paint. I stopped.

4) Unrelated to my cleaning attempts, many areas on the artificial rocks have either peeling or worn off paint. What is the best way to make them look good again?

I had taken a water sample to the pool shop when we first moved in. The report I was given (which I cannot find now) stated that my CYA was high but acceptable. My pH was 7.8. My TC and FC were 0ppm. Salt was a bit low and I added some. Now my salt sensor tells me I have 3100ppm. Phosphates were almost non-existant. CH, I cannot remember the value, but I seem to recall he didn't balk at the result either. TA is currently 2200ppm.

Need the exact CYA level, high but acceptable isnt enough info

Kwantum said:
Will do. I will drive into town tomorrow and get an analysis done on a sample.

You'd be better served in the long run to purchase a good test kit as linked to in my signature. Pool stores are notoriously inconsistent and often incorrect.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

jblizzle said:
You'd be better served in the long run to purchase a good test kit as linked to in my signature. Pool stores are notoriously inconsistent and often incorrect.

That is what I understand. I have a K-2006 on order, but it won't arrive for a couple more days.

Good deal. Hopefully it will show up quickly and you will have all the tools you need. The store results may at least put you on the ballpark, but I would not make major changes before you test yourself.

I am in the NW so not sure what is down your way. There are a lot of Leslie's in town but mostly in the north I think ... I do not have much to say about them although they do use drop tests. Since you are just looking for a quick sanity check what ever store is convenient is probably fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, the K-2006 took much longer than anticipated to arrive, but it is finally here. I went out and ran the battery of tests. Here are the results.

CC: 0
FC: 0
pH: 8.0
TA: 130ppm
CH: 630ppm
CYA: 115ppm (extrapolated)

Original problem involved scale problems on artificial (painted) stone and tile, chlorine balance and pH issues. I also have green algae creeping in as of this morning.

The CYA test will report any level over 100 as if it was 100, so your CYA level could be just about anything. I suggest doing the CYA test on a mixture of half pool water and half tap water and then multiply the results by two. That will give you a rough idea if it is actually around 100 or more like 200+.

Regardless, the first order of business is to get that CYA level down. There are two ways to do that, replace water, and a reverse osmosis treatment (not available in all areas). Either of those will also lower CH, which is also high.

Sounds like you over 200. Do the 50% drain/replace and then do the diluted test again. You will probably have to do at least 1 or 2 more 50% water changes to get your CYA manageable.

Sorry. I must have misunderstood. If you could get closer to a 60% water change that might be a bit better to start with.

I drained about half of the water and just refilled it. Because of the algae growth, I did put some bleach in. Here are the results:

FC: 0.6 ppm
CC: 1.2 ppm
pH: 7.8
TA: 160 ppm
CH: 510 ppm
CYA: 60 ppm

Have you used the pool calculator? It will tell you exactly how much you need to add.

With the work you have done it is possible that your SWG (chlorine generator) is fine. Turn it down to about 50%, let the pump run and check it later to see if it is producing. If not then it may need a new cell which is not that big of a deal, better than buying a whole new unit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.