Is it reasonable to expect zero algae?

Apr 17, 2012
Southeast Louisiana
The water is crystal clear, but very 3-4 days recently I'm noticing a light accumulation of what appears to be greenish algae on the walls of the pool, which is easily "dusted" off with the brush. I had been testing with strips (which led me to believe my FC level was about 4), but the TF100 drop test gave me a higher result... here's the results of the tests I did this morning:

PH: 7.4
FC: 7.5
CC: 0
CYA: 65 (I think)
ALK: 110

My FC level was actually 9 a day or two ago, so I turned down the SWCG to let the level drift down towards the recommended level on the chart (4-5).

Anyway, my question is this... if the water is clear, but I'm seeing a little algae on the walls, does this mean I should keep the FC a bit higher, or is a small amount of algae growth considered acceptable? Also, my PH was about 8.2, which I reduced yesterday with the addition of acid... could that have played a role in the appearance of algae?

--Michael

If you keep your FC in the recommended range all the time you should never see algae. You can have areas of poor circulation where the FC is lower than in the rest of the pool and that can cause problems but it's rare that's it's bad enough to cause constant issues.

With an swcg your FC should be plenty high. I suggest turning off the swcg one evening and running an OCLT. You may need to shock the pool and start from clean & clear.

Did you run the pump in the morning before re-testing water? If you do shut your pump off at night, it is suggested that you run it for a little while before taking sample in the morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.