TF-100 just one pH test?

Yes, that is the PH test. It is actually one of the best PH tests available.

It helps quite a bit to have a very bright white background to read the color against. I use sunlight on our white shed.

I have a hard time reading it, also - even against a bright white background. I'm pretty notorious for having difficulty distinguishing between shades of the same color, though. Are there any other manufacturers that have a different type of pH test?

The ColorQ gives a very precise digital readout of PH. It is a little expensive (around $160 Internet) and has some limitations but the PH and FC/CC readings are quite good (when FC is below 10 and CH is not too high). It will do, but is not nearly as good at, the other tests. All of the other choices for measuring PH I am familiar with have significant problems.

The pH indicator used for pools and spas is phenol red because it covers the pH range we need. The color changes start at yellow, go into the oranges, then the reds and finally purple. If you are in the orange red region your pH is fine. One suggestion is to see the color changes by putting some water in and adding a TINY pinch of baking soda. The color should be purple, Now add vinegar a drop at a time and you will see the different colors. You can do with only half a tube of water and three drops of indicator so you have enough room to add the vinegar and see all the color changes. I find the test is easiest to read when I hold it up against a clear blue sky with he sun to my left or right.

Evan,

interesting post. Thanks!

I find the test is easiest to read when I hold it up against a clear blue sky with he sun to my left or right
Me, too!

Attachments

• pool01.jpg
    pool01.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 68
  • pool01.jpg
    pool01.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Finished pool01.jpg
    Finished pool01.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Finished pool01.jpg
    Finished pool01.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 67
I often conduct the acid demand test following my initial ph reading to obtain a "second" reading. If my initial reading looks like 7.4-7.7ish, one drop of 0005 should take it down .2. If my second reading looks more like color comparator 7.2-7.5, I know my initial reading was closer to either 7.4 or 7.8. I then add more or less acid depending on a comparison of both initial and second readings. I really don't know if this procedure is valid or necessary, but figure I am getting a second opinion, honing my skill at reading the comparator tube (as in, "I guess it was closer to 7.5 rather than 7.7") and I enjoy messing with reagents.

How much the color changes for each drop of the acid, or base, demand reagent depends on your TA level. Changing the color in that way can often help clarify what the original color was, just don't depend on one drop being any particular change in PH. Note that the TF Test Kit does not include the acid/base demand reagents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.