Need advice on a timer ...

FastCougar

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2011
Eastern Panhandle of WV
I have just (yesterday) finished filling the pool with water after I replaced the liner about a week ago. I have an 27'x52" AGP with roughly 15,500 gallons of water in it. I have a SWG that I'm going to fit into the system after I stabilize the water to my target settings for a SWG system. My hose TA is extremely high and the pool tested @ 240 :shock:

Once I knock that down to my target of 60-80, the plan is to get a timer and wire in the SWG and pump. So, I have a little time to search for the best timer for the money. I have a $200 budget and will be doing the wiring myself. That said, the SWG has a 3 wire line with no plug and has been reconfigured to 110v (came 220v, followed manufacturer's directions to convert to 110). The pool pump currently is running a 3 prong plug (large central ground plug). So obviously I need a 2 circuit timer and would like to avoid cutting my plug end off the pump. Does anyone know a timer that has a 110 receptacle AND wiring block or do I need to bite the bullet and hack up the pump plug?

A pretty cheap / basic fix if you don't want to cut the plug end off would be to use a nipple and add a weather proof FS box out of the bottom of what ever timer you decide to go with and put a receptacle in it with an in use WP cover.
There are a few other options but depends on room and more details of what you have and your plan.
Any specific reason why you didn't leave it set up as 220V if you had the option ?

I had the same situation as you. I ended up getting an Intermatic T103-R timer. I have 110 going into the timer, one circuit coming out to a gfci receptacle with a weatherproof cover. My pump had a 3 prong plug so I just plugged it in. I then put a 3 prong plug on the SWG so that I could plug it in to the other outlet on the receptacle. The plug is a $2 item at most hardware stores and simple to install. It works great so far.

FastCougar said:
just so I have it straight in my head, your setup goes:

Electrical Line From Home >> Pedestal with T103-R >> GFCI receptacle with cover & 2 outlets >> pump & SWG pluged in ... so the timer in essence controls all power to the area ... is this correct?

Yep..that is the typical basic set up for 95% of pools with a time clock wired into it, or the time-clock can be located inside the house at the electrical panel to eliminate the expense of needing to install a weatherproof time-clock enclosure and from there run to the pedestal into a switch box (for easy shut-off locally,for backwash/strainer basket operation) then to the outlet,and plug you equipment in.

FastCougar said:
just so I have it straight in my head, your setup goes:

Electrical Line From Home >> Pedestal with T103-R >> GFCI receptacle with cover & 2 outlets >> pump & SWG pluged in ... so the timer in essence controls all power to the area ... is this correct?

Yes, that's it. I'll upload a picture when I get home this evening.

This is the panel:
Untitled2.jpg

And this is the outlet that is wired into the timer:
3.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks again ... I owe you a beer or two ;)

TA is dropping slowly but surely ... started at 260, currently 130. After TA is nailed and pH is at 7.4, Borates are next up on the list (need more Muriatic acid for pH offset) and then once everything tests out within my target ranges for SWG setup, the SWG will be setup. I have ordered the timer and it should be here early next week. The current pedestal has the 2 outlet weatherproof housing already, so that can be re-purposed. All I need is some conduit and the plug for the SWG wiring.

Got the box in today, had it up and running in under an hour after a short trip to Lowes ... thanks for everything!

Water is spot on, just need to plumb in the SWG this weekend and add the salt.

[attachment=0:2ncqit2c]2012-05-23 at 19-07-47.jpg[/attachment:2ncqit2c]

Attachments

• 2012-05-23 at 19-07-47.jpg
    2012-05-23 at 19-07-47.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 195
Sturge, i have a question, your pool timer controls power to your gfci outlet, when it shuts the power off to it do you have to reset your gfci? i thought when they loose power(gfci) you have to reset them everytime. could i put in a gfci breaker at my panel box and have my pool timer control power to a non-gfci outlet?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.