Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey folks, I've got one of these on order and wanted a little feedback. I went with it because it just seems that, even though I'm not color blind at all, reading the regular test kits seems to be a bit problematic even after reading through posts here.

Now the ColorQ didn't get panned, but it's not the best obviously. Quoting JasonLion, "The ColorQ has several limitations, notably it only works for FC levels up to 10 and the CH and CYA tests have less precision than you would want, but otherwise is generally good and has a digital readout."

So, having a vinyl liner, my reading tells me I'm not all that concerned with CH. And I think if my FC levels get above 10 I've got other issues anyway (with my SWG and other equipment, I don't really want this getting far out of the 2-3 range anyway). So all that seems okay, leaving the CYA test. Of course, and unfortunately, CYA seems to be a pretty important test (looking for 70-80 for my setup) and I think one of my problems right now. Can someone comment on how imprecise the CYA test is and what kind of trouble I might run into with it?

Thanks!

Make sure you do the CYA test exactly according to their directions. There is a tendency to skip through the steps too quickly, which can invalidate the results. Even when done correctly the ColorQ CYA test is about +-25, compared to the black dot test +-15 (it is +-10 ideally though in practice more like +-15 or +-20 for people who don't already have a lot of experience with it).

Thanks JasonLion! I think I may look up/find an individual test for that one (maybe the TF one) and I need to get one for salt as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.