Calcium hardness in vinyl pool revisited

May 13, 2012
Somwhere last year a read a post that concluded that owners of vinyl lined pools can ignore CH, as there aren't the leaching problems with vinyl as is with gunnite and concrete pools. I understand that, and it makes perfect sense, BUT.... Help me out here.... CH does play an important role in water balance, regardless of what type of pool you have. If vinyl pool owners ignore the CH, and the resultant water balance leans toward/into the scaling side, then the CH in the water will fall out of solution and result in cloudy water. So from a balance and saturation standpoint, isn't CH important even in a vinyl pool?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

"Ignore" really isn't the right word. No one can ignore high CH levels. That will cause problems for any pool surface and in some cases for the filter as well.

Vinyl liner pools are completely fine with extremely low CH levels. Many many people have been doing that for a very long time and there haven't been any more problems or failures that there are with higher CH levels.

So by "very high" levels, I assume you mean anything > 500.. Mine is nowhere near that, even though I'm on a well. Mine typically runs 200 - 350 depending on which of two wells I draw from

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.