Question on Intex Pool

May 13, 2012
Hi I have a 15x48 inch Intex Pool. I have recently purchased the 14 inch 1600 gallon sand filter set up. And I got attachments for the bigger and smaller adapter holes. My question is, I would like to have the bigger size adapters on my pool, should I just cut the smaller black rubber adapters out and just put in the bigger size adapters? I also have a wall mounted skimmer, I need to know how to properly install it and where to put it on the pool? And if I can, can I put it on over the return hole on the pool?

northstar81 said:
Hi I have a 15x48 inch Intex Pool. I have recently purchased the 14 inch 1600 gallon sand filter set up. And I got attachments for the bigger and smaller adapter holes. My question is, I would like to have the bigger size adapters on my pool, should I just cut the smaller black rubber adapters out and just put in the bigger size adapters? I also have a wall mounted skimmer, I need to know how to properly install it and where to put it on the pool? And if I can, can I put it on over the return hole on the pool?

Hi,,, I have the 16 x 48" pool,,,just about like yours. I was also wondering about the skimmers. I think that would be a good improvement as the standard intake sucks! No pun intended. I am hesitant to just cut a hole in the side of the pool for the skimmer unless I get some feedback!!

Welcome to TFP. North and z1 - take a look at the thread I'll copy in below. One of the members who has done amazing modifications to his Intex assembled some of the more helpful Intex threads so there is sort of one-stop-shopping. At least one of the links deals with adding a skimmer - I'm not sure if your particular question will be answered, but there is a ton of info there. I will be adding one (actually having a pool boy do it for me) soon, but as yet have no personal experience to share. Good luck, and Happy Swimming!

Here is the thread url:
useful-links-for-fellow-intex-pool-owners-t29612.html

I just installed a wide mouth skimmer in my 15X48 and it works great. I installed it over the former return hole and the best tip I can pass along is don't cut out the skimmer hole until after you have it completely installed. Get all of the screws in and then use a razor knife to carefully cut out the square of material in the middle. I also found it helped to have the water level up around halfway or more because it gave the sidewall some stiffness and made it easier to work with. The water was c-o-l-d but it did help.

i have one more question i have 2 types of returns i can put on my 15x48in intex on has a small little swivel end and one has a big like angle like end that also diverts the water any input on the best one to us im thinking the bigger one im also still looking for answer on if its ok to put a skimmer over right over the existing retun line so in that case i would be swaping the line in and out if you know what i mean let me know please

Not an expert at all, in fact still waiting for my Intex Ultra Frame in shipment still. Here is a thought on cutting at the original suction hole though... I have looked at a lot of videos of people after putting a wall skimmer in, splitting off of the return to go both to the original return and fabricating a simple to build PVC fountain connected to the old "skimmer" that is connected as a return as well. Look on youtube for DIY pool fountain and you will see what I mean. That is exactly what I plan to do next year after upgrading to sand filter and hard piping everything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.