Clogged deck drain

dickeystorm

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2010
Lake Jackson, TX
My pool deck drain strip is clogged with roots and dirt. I started to dig for a drain pipe since the deck always floods after heavy rain only to find an existing, anf clogged drain :). The trouble is the drain pipe isn't attached to the deck drain, it's just in the vicinity. And the end of the deck drain has a lot of roots and mud in it. I don't see any way to open the deck drian to clean it out. Does anyone know how I can clean it out?

Thanks.

Attachments

• pool deck drain_341x600.jpg
    pool deck drain_341x600.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 384
I would just try blowing it out with a garden hose, most likely getting you wet. It appears you have access to the draining end of the pvc pipe, which you could clean out with a dowel, rod or similar object, if that is necessary. Although I don't like using strong chemicals (and don't know the down sides) you could use a drain cleaner, like liquid plumber.

If there is not a connector to the deck drain to the pipe, you might try a 90 degree ell to catch the water and avoid sending dirt into the pipe. I doubt it will make any difference if it is glued or not, since it has no pressure.

Thanks for the replies. I can't use chemicals because the drain pipe, which is flowing, heads towards a creek in the back. The roots and dirt are in the drain strip. I have tried blasting from the top with a hose but haven't had much luck, other than getting wet ;)

Do the drain augers come that small?

I thought you talking about the pipe. And we all seem to learn about getting wet....

There are a variety of snakes, from plastic with barbs to spring. I would try snaking in a heavy gauge electric wire in there, or maybe a metal rod (whatever might fit in and is laying around. Maybe even a coat hanger straightened out). For reference, here is a link to a 3/16" diameter spring snake http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-spri ... 96043.html (They are probably not close to you, but Lowes, HD or Ace should have one). Whatever you use, be slow and careful, it looks brittle and may not take a lot of abuse.

Yes, augers and snakes can be purchased or rented in many sizes. Some work on electric, others are drill operated, and there are manual ones.
Depends on the length and where the clog is will determine the length you need to attempt to clean it out.
If you can get a pipe or heavy gauge wire in that length down there, it may work, but depending on how packed it is, you might be better off with an auger or snake.
I actually own this one, and I had a similar issue, but I wasn't able to clean the pipe out with it (I think the end of the pipe got buried during the pool build) so I ran a new line.

If it really is roots you will need to auger it out, but I fear that runs a very high risk of tearing up the drain strip. If it just dirt and crud, a high pressure washer should do the trick. I own a 5hp model and it's amazing the power these things have.

UPDATE

Thanks for the responses. The picture shows the end of the deck drain where the water exits. I rented a drain auger/snake and ran it up there, breaking the bit but getting most (hopefully) of the roots out. I gave up on the snake after an hour and a half and only going about 4 feet out of thirty. The deck drain is full of fine silt/mud. I'm thinking of cutting the top off of the deck drain to clean it out. I need to find a replacement top. Anyone know of such a thing?

The round pipe in the picture is the entrance to that section. The water runs off into the yard from there. I ran the snake in about 40 feet and hit a wall. Who ever put the drain in simply buried the pipe in the gound. That explained the slow drain. The soil here is mostly clay which is loads of fun to dig in, especially when it's soaked.

Any thoughts on cutting the top away and replacing?

Hello Neighbor. Judging from your pic I'd bet our pools were put in by the same company.

Go to Lowes and get a "blow bag" to clear the drain. Let me know if you get the "strip" clean, I'd like to get mine functional also.

Re: UPDATE

dickeystorm said:
I ran the snake in about 40 feet and hit a wall. Who ever put the drain in simply buried the pipe in the gound. That explained the slow drain. The soil here is mostly clay which is loads of fun to dig in, especially when it's soaked.
?

Sounds just like mine was.
I just ran a new piece of PVC where I needed it to drain and hooked to the original.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Latest. Well I added 20 feet to the pvc side and ran it down the yard to a bed of gravel with the end exposed. That end is working well now. On the deck strip side I gave up on the auger/snake after a couple hours and only clearing about 5 feet. I then tried using a garden hose jammed into the end like the snake and another garden hose from the top to try and flush the silt out. It gor some but it will take a long time to get it all. A higher pressure hose might do it but for now the deck seems to drain ok, I'll know next big rain.

@the goose, are you in LJ? My pool was put in in 1984.

Not LJ, but close. Was "Pool King" the builder?

dickeystorm said:
Latest. Well I added 20 feet to the pvc side and ran it down the yard to a bed of gravel with the end exposed. That end is working well now. On the deck strip side I gave up on the auger/snake after a couple hours and only clearing about 5 feet. I then tried using a garden hose jammed into the end like the snake and another garden hose from the top to try and flush the silt out. It gor some but it will take a long time to get it all. A higher pressure hose might do it but for now the deck seems to drain ok, I'll know next big rain.

@the goose, are you in LJ? My pool was put in in 1984.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.