Prep before installing Intellichlor

May 13, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
I just came upon this forum while googling SWG. I'm planning on adding an Intellichlor to my pool in about a week but want to make sure all my ducks are in a row to prevent any problems with the install. I live in No. Calif.

My pool is a 30 yrs. old in-ground fiberglass over gunite. I estimate about 15000 gallons including the spa. My equipment is all pentair with an EasyTouch control panel and Intelliflo VS-3050. I also have both gas and solar heat with no water features. I would like to know opinions as to what size SWG to buy? I have been told by some to go with the Intellichlor IC40 instead of the IC20.

I have been having issues with algae since last year and just found out my phosphates are off the chart at 1000 and conditioner is at 200. I will be draining half my pool tomorrow to help bring the conditioner down and hope this will drop my phosphates as well. I want to make sure my water is balanced before installing the SWG. If I can't bring the phosphates down to an acceptable level what can I do or add that will remedy the problem without a complete drain? Is there anything else I should consider doing prior to the install? Everything else seems to be in balance.

Thanks
Frank

Welcome to TFP!

I recommend getting the IC-40 over the IC-20. The IC-20 will work, but the IC-40 will last about twice as long, and thus be a much better deal in the long run.

Phosphates have nothing to do with whatever problem you are having. You can just ignore the phosphate level. Mine has been in the several thousand range for years without any issues. But CYA/conditioner at 200 is a major problem.

Take a look at the water balance for a SWG article in Pool School. It has detailed answers for how to balance your water ideally for a SWG.

Thanks for your quick response. I was leaning towards the IC40 but wanted to hear some other opinions.

Jason, I'm glad to hear the phosphates is not something to lose sleep over. Hopefully by dumping 50% of my pool tomorrow I'll be able to get my CYA in control. One thing I forgot to mention was my water hardness was at 750. I don't know how to correct that since our water is very hard and will only be adding more when I refill.

I'm really glad to have found this forum and have been reading many of the threads.

Thanks Again
Frank

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.