How level does my 12x36 metal frame pool need ot be?

jen088

May 13, 2012
I'm very new to owning a pool! I just bought a 12x36 metal framed Intex pool. I cleared the are for my pool, but didn't level it. Started putting water in and 1/3 of the way full discovered I am about 3-4 inches off. I don't want the whole thing to collapse on me once filled. Do I need to drain the water,figure out how to move the pool, and level the area? Keep in mind I am a small female doing this by myself with no one to help.... unfortunately, no strong man-power to help :) Can someone tell me how level it has to be. I am assuming that 3-4 inches is too unlevel and unsafe.

I just removed a 12x36 Intex to upgrade. I was about an inch off level and it was fine for 3 years. I would think we would have been fine even with 2 inches, but I wouldn't be comfortable 3-4 inches.

Not much you can do other than some sweat with a shovel or hire someone (expensive for just a 12 foot area around me.)

Note, if you just put it down on the grass, when you take it down, the decomposing grass is going to stink, really really stink. It is amazing at how bad it stunk.

Anyone can operate a shovel, its a lot of work, but you can do it. Just use the shovel to cut small squares around of the sod, then slide the shovel underneath to break loose the sod. Then lift it out. Just cut smaller areas if its too heavy. Once down to dirt, you just shave off dirt little by little until its level. Think positive about it and you can do it.

Pool is draining now. I plan on doing all the work myself. No grass to worry about. Acually, I just removed 12 square feet of rock and am down to the dirt, so no stinky grass here. My yard was zero-scaped before I bought it. This is going to be a bigger pain than I thought for a summer of pool floating, but I hope it all ends up worth it! Thanks so much for your help!

Thanks to my mom's help, we dug the are out and then went and bought lots of cheap bags of dirt to completely level the area out. Initially did the string level (amazing and cheap little thing) and then got one of the long ones to finish the job. Pool is full and added the stuff the make the pH go down. I'll retest the pH later today to see how it is looking. From my understanding, don't add chlorine until after the pH is leveled out. This forum is amazing. I told my brother about it, who had an above ground last year and he said you guys would have saved him lots of headaches. Thank you for all your help so far and no doubt for all the assistance throughout the summer... cuz we all know I'll be coming back for help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.