Water behind liner

Bigsteveg

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2012
Detroit, Mi
Hi all, I am close to pool ownership, closing on the new house in a few weeks. I spoke with the neighbor this week and he mentioned the pool has had the liner replaced in years past because of water behind the liner. Apparently there is a lot of ground water in the area and I am pondering about a sump pump to keep water away,

Any thoughts or recommendations.

It really depends on the soil conditions and typical depth of the water table. In the great majority of cases, simply keeping the pool full during the part of the year when the water table is high takes care of it. If you do have particularly bad high water table issues, having well points with sump pumps can be a large help (it often requires more than one). But running into situations that actually require that is unusual.

Well, I'm debating about just pumping all the water out and seeing how quick the water comes back. We have to replace the liner anyway. It has steel walls with duct tape on the seems, so there is no real way to stop the water from coming in.

Just a follow up to this.... has anyone installed a garden hose permanently under the liner? I was thinking about running a garden hose to the deepest point of the pool and going out the pool wall up to the outside of the cement and leaving it about 2 feet above the ground near the fence so I could always attach a pump to it if need be. I'm worried that it may cause damage to the liner but I'm not worried about it showing.

This would allow me to install the liner, have a plan B and then address sump pumps down the road if the water issue becomes a major problem.

Just FYI, the garden hose did the trick... I bought some vinyl hose from Lowes and ran it under the cement behind the liner half way down. I have to run the pump after every rainfall but much cheaper option than digging up the yard and installing sump pumps.

Only downfall is some of the backfill gravel got behind the liner when installing, so the liner might not last as long as I like.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.