rising ph

Jan 12, 2012
Hi.
I seem to have trouble with rising ph in my hot tub.
I have a bromine tub with a floater wich keeps my bromine level around 5 ppm i also have an ozonator. I am hardly using the tub at the min cause weather is rubbish here in UK so the tub isn't getting much airation but no matter what i do the ph seems to keep rising. My Ta is on 85 at the min with ph of 7.6 but i bet u over the next couple of days its back up to 8.0-8.2 without it even being used. My Ta has been even lower than this in the past but still find my self having to keep adding acid to keep ph down. The Ta as well as ph appeared to have increased last time i tested. I thought the bromine tablets were acidic and supposed to have the opposite affect?
The only other chemical im adding is non chlorine shock if my bromine goes low
Any help on this would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dan

The bromine tabs are net acidic, but I suspect you have that dialed down pretty low because the ozonator is creating most of the bromine for you. The ozone-created bromine raises pH and the usage/consumption of that bromine lowers the pH so the net is neutral. That's why a lower TA level should help since the pH rise is coming from carbon dioxide outgassing -- TA is a measure (among other things) of the over-carbonation of the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.