Where do I start?

Gunnert

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 1, 2012
New 38' fiberglass pool just installed. Water went in Thursday (19,800). Should be able to run pump on Monday. I have an ET w/ IC40 chlorinator. I have the TF 100 test kit. Any help with what to do first would be appreciated. Looking for advice on setting up the ET. Oh yea, pump is Pentair VS3050.

Read the section on Pool School and when you are done read it again. Trust me it has alot of great info. Then these guys on here will help more then anything. Im new here maybe a month, but my pool is as clear as it has ever been in 15yrs I know it sounds crazy but last night with the light on you could not tell there was water in the pool just like glass of course I had to jump in to make sure.

Should I run the set of test without ever running the pump?
In this case, I would say yes. Four full days of idle water in your pool is not too good. You will certainly want to have some chlorine and CYA on hand and possible some other things that a test now would reveal. pH and TA and CH would be helpful and your water is blended well enough to get accurate results fof those. Take the sample pool water from about a foot or so under the surface.

You want to run at the lowest speed where the skimmer(s) still work well. Often that is around 900-1400 RPM, though it varies from pool to pool.

For run time, I suggest starting with 8 hours a day, and seeing how the water looks. If everything looks good try shortening the run time, if the sparkle goes away try a longer run time.

Yes, the pump speed also needs to be sufficient to keep the IC-40 happy. Usually the skimmers are the limiting factor, but occasionally you need it a little higher to keep the SWG happy as well.

Start the IC-40 out around 40%, then if the FC level is too low raise the percentage and if the FC level is too high lower the percentage. Keep in mind that changing the pump run time also requires changing the SWG percentage setting (shorter pump run time requires a higher percentage setting).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Where do I start?m

Ok, I've read the pool school (several times). Had some delays getting the pool running. Pool will be topped off this morning. Only chemical added in past week was a couple of gallons of 6% chlorine to slow any growth until I got the pump running. I could not find Dichlor. On hand, I have:
-Pool Shock (from Costco): 1 pack per 12k gallon
-Muriatic Acid (liquid)
-Bleach (6%)
-Stabilizer (4ea, 3 lb containers)
-20 lbs DE powder (filter manual calls for it with new filter)

1-Pool Calc calls for 5 lbs of Stabilizer to raise to 30. I don't have a sock that big...
2-For first 4 days, should I use two packs each night of shock?
3-and at end of 4 days ????
4-when do I add salt?
5-when do I turn on Chlorinator?

Fiberglass/19,800 gal/ Pump VS3050(1000 rpm, 18 hr run time)/IC40 chlorinator/C&C Plus Cartridge Filter/EasyTouch

If you have more than 1 return you can use more than one sock. Once the sock has soaked in the pool a few hours the more you massage the sock the quicker the stabilizer will disperse into the water. Still you want the process to take a couple of days so don't squeeze it all out at once!

Once the water is balanced you can start adding the salt and after it is fully dissolved you can turn on the SWG. Continue to use bleach to maintain the FC level until the SWG is able to maintain it on its own.

Please edit your signature and place the information about your pool and equipment there so we have it in every post.

Pump Setting 1800rpm/18 hours
Added 1 1/2 gallon 6% Bleach yesterday, mid-day
Sample taken this morning:
Chl: 0
Ph: 8.2
TA: 170
CYA: 0

What's next?
I have:
Liquid Bleach
Pool Shock packets (1 per 12K gal)
Liquid Muriatic Acid
Stabilizer (4 ea, 3 lb cans)

Good! Now we have a good "picture" of your water.

1. Lower your pH down to around 7.4 Use muriatic acid.

2. Right after that, add your CYA....enough to get to 40ppm.

3. Right after that, add another small jug of Clorox to your pool. It will be gone by this evening so, this evening, add enough Clorox to get to 4ppm.

4. Tell us the ingredients on the packets you have. Should say something similar (but more scientific :lol: ) to "cal-Hypo" or "tri-chlor"

Since it's new. I assume your water is nice and clear?

Water is relatively clear.

Pool calculator calls for 6 lbs Stabilizer and 106 oz of muriatic acid.

Stabilizer says to add to deep end or pour into skimmer. I'll crank up the speed on the pump and slowly add through skimmer.

Pool Shock is
1 lbs = 58.2%: sodium dichloro-s-triazinetnone

Don't add that di-chlor. Take it back if you can. If you can't, it has an amazing shelf life and you will be avle to use it another time.

Did you put that small jug of Clorox in the pool?

Yes, added the Bleach, but I put in a large jug (wife/kids want to swim today... It's a very bright, sunny day here in NoVa

I BOUGHT the dichlor because Pool School said to use it for four days.... I was reading from the WRONG section, temporary pools... dah...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.