No chlorine no cya

May 12, 2012
Have added 400 oz bleach last night and still no FC in pool or no CYA. Added 4lbs cya last wed but still not testing or i gess i shoukd say the level is actually 9. Can I continue bbb method and added another 400 oz bleach or do I need to add a powdered dichlor with cya bought from biogard called smart shock? It has copper in it which scares me and I would rather stick with bbb method but how do you raise cya on bbb method?

Welcome to TFP!

What are your other levels? Also, how large is your pool?

I wouldn't expect the CYA to show up on the test yet, though you CYA level is most likely over 10 by now.

I recommend sticking with bleach.

I suspect you have some CYA by now, but even so you will lose some chlorine during the day time. The crucial info is what happens after sunset.

You really should take a look at the article on how to shock your pool in Pool School.

Your questions are a little hard to understand because of typos but I think you are asking if it will hold the FC if there is no CYA. Didn't you put CYA in your pool? If so, (4 lbs?) then your CYA is a little less than 20ppm and you should put in 8 more pounds to get somewhere around 60ppm.

Chlorine is consumed by two things....sunlight and organics in your pool. If you lose chlorine overnight, then you have organics in your pool and must put in A LOT of chlorine to kill them.

Reading the article on shocking your pool up in Pool School should help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Parker12 said:
Also noticed I have no CC -- is this normal? I read algae makes high CC.

Not always. I'm digging deep from a thread ChemGeek wrote awhile ago, but the gist is this....

Chlorine is an oxidizer and a sanitizer. The sanitation is the killing of algae. All that's left is dead algae, which gets filtered out of the water. The oxidation is the breaking up of non-organic compounds (usually urea, and other nitrogen based yuk). Combined chlorines are the result of that chemical process.

We are making headway!!! I can see the bottom of the liner in the shallow end and 1/4 way down into the deep end!!! My chlorine was down to 2 at 730am so I added 600 oz of bleach. My ph is 7.1 so may need to add some borax later and cya is less than 30 but not sure what because Taylor test kit only starts measuring at 30 ppm. So may add stabilizer in sick by return tonite?

Only thing that bothers me is I went to back flush this am and no dirty water. Looked tiny bit cloudy that's all. Maybe particles are too tiny? My husband is going to clean the pool after church. I think he wants to vacuum without turning to waste and back flush in the middle of cleaning. This might be ok since it doesn't appear our sand filter is bothered by the suspened solids clouding out pool?

10am update -- chlorine level down to 7 so I added 360oz bleach. Husband going to clean pool now. Water still cloudy but getting clearer and more blue by the hour. Thanks for all your help!!! Still a little worried about no CYA and TA is holding at 180.

Yes I tested again no cya at 10am.

1pm update -- water is way clearer after more chlorine and vacuuming. I can now see the drains in the deep end and all of the shallow end is clear. Deep end still hazy. Chlorine dropped to 7ppm again at 1PM so I added 400oz more chlorine. When Pool School says to continue to add bleach until there is only a 1ppm change in FC, I don't want my level to be 10 though? When do I stop shocking? Also, when do I turn the SWG back on normal? I have it set on 50% right now. Cover is open and very sunny and 75 here today.

5pm update -- water continues to improve but not crystal clear. FC down to 4.5ppm so I guess I need to add another 6 gallons bleach to get back to shock level. Then I guess I will check it before I go to bed and add more bleach if level drops again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.