Went to the pool store for the 1st time today

Jun 17, 2011
So I don't have my kit yet just a basic kit so I figured I would get my water tested at the pool store. Here are my results

FC 4.0
Total C 4.0
CC 0.0
PH 7.5
CH 110
TA 50
Cyanuric Acid 10

I was told to get 25 lbs Calcium Chloride, 25 lbs alkalinity increaser, and 12 lbs stabilizer(conditioner)

I told them I would be back, really I just wanted to post here to get opinions

Does this sound right to you guys? I am using bleach from Wal-mart and Borax right now and haven't reaally put anything else in the pool. It is blue now but cloudy.

You do want to increase TA, but not by as much as they recommend. I suggest raising TA to 80.

You also want to increase CYA, but again not be as much as they recommend. I suggest raising CYA to 40 or 50. Long term you want to get to 50, but in the short run it is better to only go to 40. Otherwise you risk overshooting, which is difficult to correct.

There is no need to add any calcium (except if required by a warranty). Vinyl liner pools have no need to add calcium.

JasonLion said:
There is no need to add any calcium (except if required by a warranty). Vinyl liner pools have no need to add calcium.

I didn't think I needed to add calcium because I had a vinyl liner. Why do they try to get you to buy stuff that you don't need. Is there so advantage to adding the calcium?

Isaac-1 said:
The key thing to remember is the drug dealer, oooops pool store, is not your friend, their goal is to make money off of you, and get you to come back for more product.

And based on my experience, I don't think it's malicious intent, or a desire to rip you off. It's just that they blindly follow the recommendations of the computer because they just don't understand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.