Check for restrictions

Is your filter pressure higher or lower than normal?

Have you backwashed your filter recently? Could be clogged filter and is indicated by higher than normal filter pressure.

Did you recently use your vacuum on a lot of debris? Could be clogged impeller or suction line and is indicated by lower than normal filter pressure.

I don't seem to have the flow that I had last year and the water just will not clear up.
When I read this, I took it mean that your flow rate had decreased but if the pool just won't clear, that is either a chemistry issue or it could be that debris is passing through the filter due to an issue with the filter. If the pressure is the same, the flow rate should be the same as well.

If you can be a bit more descriptive on what you mean by "will not clear up" (e.g. cloudy, green, can't see bottom, etc).

Some history might help too. For example, did you just open the pool?

Lastly, can you see any debris coming back out of the returns?

mas985 said:
I don't seem to have the flow that I had last year and the water just will not clear up.
When you wrote this, I took it mean that your flow rate had decreased but if the pool just won't clear, that is either a chemistry issue or it could be that debris is passing through the filter due to an issue with the filter. If the pressure is the same, the flow rate should be the same as well.

If you can be a bit more descriptive on what you mean by "will not clear up" (e.g. cloudy, green, can't see bottom, etc).

Some history might help too. For example, did you just open the pool?

Lastly, can you see any debris coming back out of the returns?

Last year the water comming from the eye/return seemed to have more pressure. It almost hurt to put my arm in front of it.

I opened the pool about 2 months ago.

As for it not clearing up, the water is cloudy after 60 plus days of constant filtering and vacuuming. I have SHOCKed it twice in the same 60 days.The water has a light greenish/whiteish look. I can barley see the brush at the bottom of the pool while vacuuming and can see where the vacuum has been, but I can not see the pattern in the liner at the bottom.

I do not detect any debris comming from the return.

I recieve my test kit yesterday and this morning the chlorine tested 3, ph- 7.5. I will post the other results later.

I was just thinking that if the supply or return was partly blocked, that it can not be filtering enough and wanted to be sure that the lines were completly open. The problem may very well be in the chimistry only.

I would think that you have 2 different issues going on.
1st is that your pool sounds like it has an algae problem. Read here: pool-school/defeating_algae and here: pool-school/shocking_your_pool.
2nd is a possible flow issue. Make sure all your valves are open fully. Check your filter to make sure that it is not plugged. You might want to check your impeller for damage. Maybe measure the voltage to your pump motor. Is your pump close to your pool (hoses) or do you have underground pipe?

The pump is about 12 feet from the pool and the 1-1/2" PVC runs undergorund.

I know that there is an algae problem, hence the new test kit that just arrived and checking for restrictions.

Checking the flow is why I started this thread. I am trying to figure out how to be POSTIVE that there is no restriction in the lines, without cutting them out and or replacing them. I would like to know that sediment didn't settle in the lines or that a stick hasn't gotten lodged in and maybe a few leaves stuck or maybe even on of the kids toys, preventing 100% of my flow. If I can't get 100% flow it will be harder, if not impossable, to rid the algae problem.

It has been raining today and I want to have the wife with me, when I use the new test, so that she and I can get familiar it.

I've read the links that you referred. It's hard to understand a pool and it's maintance, without first reading and understang POOL SCHOOL. It's good stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.