Plumbing HELP! Replacing 2 port with new 3 port Aquapure cel

radman2008

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
[attachment=2:p6sf2wly]Aq-Whole.jpg[/attachment:p6sf2wly]Just received new 3 port cell kit yesterday. And unfortunately the Installation Manual was wrong when it said, 'The new cell will fit without any need to modify existing plumbing'. The space was exactly the same but the coupling nuts ARE NOT. The new ones are larger than the old 2 port nuts, so it doesn't "just screw on" - as described in the Install Manual.

So that means removing the old tailpieces to be able to install new LARGER coupling nuts (BUT one tailpiece is butted right up to the 90º connector) which is then connected (with no usable spaces) directly butted up to a Jandy valve (see photos).

The other end of the cell has a small amount of space I think I can use for the other tailpiece removal/replacement (see 2nd post photo below).

I've been in the forums for about 4 hours now and have the following 2 questions:
  • One forum said you could cut the pipe off right at the connector and heat the glue to remove the inserted pipe
    And another mentioned an over/under connector that glues on the outside of the connector.

What suggestions would you make?

Attachments

• Aq-Whole.jpg
    Aq-Whole.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 68
  • CU-Jandy-valve.jpg
    CU-Jandy-valve.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 67
  • CU-90-to-tailpiece2.jpg
    CU-90-to-tailpiece2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 67
Re: Plumbing HELP! Replacing 2 port with new 3 port Aquapure

Removing the pipe from the old connector is certainly worth a try. You need to take your time and work it lose without damaging the part you are trying to leave in place.

Re: Plumbing HELP! Replacing 2 port with new 3 port Aquapure

A successful follow up.....

After your help, I went to a local pool company and was able to speak to their service manager, showing him these photos. He gave me a suggested solution and a PVC adapter that would fit INSIDE the 2" pipe that is glued into the 90 degree connector above.

As suggested, I cut the pipe as close to the 90 connector as possible; throughly cleaned the inside of the old glued in pipe; inserted the adapter into the pipe; glued the new black union from the new 3 port kit onto the 2" portion of the adapter; then I cut the pipe on the other end right next to the old black union and installed the new 3 port cell with no issues.

Thanks for your forum's insight and help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.