Newbie who's looking to replace liner and coping of pool

rburns

May 12, 2012
I am very happy to have found a site like this. This is my first post and concerns coping for an in-ground pool that I built in my back yard over fifteen years ago. It is a rectangular 20 X 40 ft. pool and is a "wedge design (has no deep well before it angles up from the deep end). It is 8 ft. deep and approximately 3 feet at the shallow end, holding about 28,000 gallons. When we built the pool, we decided to use concrete walls and a concrete bottom, and we also poured a concrete deck. There's also no drain. After trying Bacquacil, we switched to chlorine products; however, I believe the Bacquacil contributed much to the life of the vinyl liner, since we are just replacing it for the first time.

I bought the liner, coping, filter, and pump form an old guy who was no longer building pools--all for a mere $200. We have since replaced the filter and pump after we learned they were designed for an above-ground pool and now have 1.5 hp pump and adequately large filter. My question is this:

The very old rubber coping on my 20 X 40 foot in-ground rectangular pool is stapled to 2 X 8 boards bolted on top of the pool's concrete wall, and I'm unwilling to take up these boards, which are still quite good. I'm replacing the liner with an overlap liner, which I've already ordered. The problem is the coping.

My old one was in style until about the 1960s and came in a very long roll (125 feet), and that's about how much I need. Each edge of the coping is at a 90 degree angle and is stapled to the edge of the 2 X 8 all around the pool. The coping is white and has straight ridges, but these are no longer available. I have a concrete deck around the pool and must cut along the edge of the coping that's against the concrete to remove that side of it; the other side is not a problem and lifts up quite easily off of the pool-side edge of the board. The liner will obviously be fastened between the coping underside and the top of the board. To fit over the board, the coping should be approximately 10.5 inches wide (approx. 7.5 inches on top and 1.5 cinches on each edge. In short, I'm looking for a 125-foot roll of white (or close to white) roll rubber coping that has these specs. Does anybody know where I may find a custom coping for this project with these dimensions?

Attachments

• 20x40pool.jpg
    20x40pool.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 95
  • corner.jpg
    corner.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 95
  • shallow.jpg
    shallow.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 95
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.