Can't get chlorine up - not sure what to do

May 12, 2012
I've lived in our house with pool for over 7 years now. I've never had too much trouble maintaining it until now. Last year I had the pool painted with supposedly the best epoxy pool paint you can buy and had heard all the virtues of doing so. Our guntite was starting to look aged and I opted to do that as a cheaper option than a full replaster job.

At any rate, I cannot seem to get things balanced now. I stumbled across this website and have already started buying chemicals from a local chemical company instead of the pool store. That has helped. I bought one of the recommended test kits and I've now managed to get the pH, TA, CH and CYA balanced pretty well. But I can not get the chlorine level to come up. At all!!!

From the chemical company I bought a 5 gallon bleach container at industrial strength 12.5%. In an effort to get rid of an algae problem, my intentions were to shock the pool as advised. I ended up putting 3 gallons of the stuff in and it got the FC up to about 3 (when it should have raised it much higher). Laster in the day it was right back down to 0.5. Being out of bleach, I added 3 pounds of shock. This morning the bloody FC hasn't budged from 0.5. The pool is at least blue now (but terribly cloudy).

I feel like I'm burning through chlorine so fast I'm concerned I'll end up spending a fortune and not getting anywhere.

Let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you for this website and for any advice.

Welcome to TFP!

The first step is to post a complete set of water test results. What you think of as balanced and what we think of as balanced may not be the same thing. Then I suggest you do some reading in Pool School, especially the article on how to shock your pool.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Your #'s look fine - except, of course for the chlorine!

You should start the shock process as outlined in Pool School.

I suggest you use a shock level of about 20 FC. Try to maintain shock level as best as you can, especially in the evening and when the sun is off the pool. Only use bleach/liquid chlorine for the shock process.

You have organics consuming the chlorine (possibly ammonia) at a fast rate.

If you have questions, just post back here. Someone will be around to help.

with pools..you are always "all in" or "all out"....LOL..no pun intended. GO big or go home. Do you have any type of chlorinator system, or maybe you want to possibly go with a SWCG...I find it very easy to maintain FC levels with either of those options.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Already you can see progress with the FC reaching higher levels. The high CC is a sign that something is using a lot of chlorine. Keep at it and follow the process until you pass all 3 criteria to stop shocking.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

I'm baffled. I just rechecked my levels. As you recall, this morning I had FC up to 13.5 and had added 2.8 gallons of 6% to bring it up to 20 (my CC was at 2.5). Now, a couple hours later, FC is not even registering and CC is at 1. I realize I need to dump a whole lot more in. But does this mean I am making progress because CC is lower now? Or am I fighting a losing battle?

FC: 12.5 - CC 0.5 - So it looks like the CC is getting depleted. Added more to theoretically bring it back to 20.

Now I'm down to about 4 gallons of 6% so I better make a run this evening to get more. I'm considering buying stock in the company that makes Clorox. LOL.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.