No dry acid for SWG?

May 6, 2012
Peoria, IL
I read in BBB for Beginners that dry acid should not be used with a SWG. Why is that? I don't mind switching to muriatic acid (assuming I can safely transport it in my car), but I used dry acid with my Intex Ultra Frame and Intex SWG all last season and I just reopened my pool and have been using dry acid for the last few days. Am I going to have a problem with my SWG or my pool? I'd like to use up what I have, but I suppose if I have to toss it, I will. The dry acid I used was HTH PH Decreaser from Walmart. Also, do I have to keep muriatic acid in a cool, dry place like a dry acid? Because I definitely don't want to bring liquid acid into the house; I'd rather keep it in the garage.

Aloha schertzy82!!

Welcome to pool advice paradise!! Here is my perspective on the dry acid:

1) No, you shouldn't throw it away...it's a bit different, but it will decrease the pH and alkalinity. (I defer to Richard the Chem Geek on the different way it treats these in comparison to Muriatic Acid).
2) That said, there ARE some caveats to its use: Always mix it up in a bucket--don't throw it in and trust it to dissolve quickly enough to prevent damage (especially in a plaster pool!). :hammer:
3) Buy your Muriatic Acid in a case of 4 gallons, or if only 1 gallon, bring an empty 5-gallon bucket with a lid so you can protect it better in the case of an unplanned car crash.
4) Muriatic will store just fine in your garage...maybe a good idea to dip the CAPPED bottle carefully into the pool and then place it in a bucket for storage so you don't damage anything if it leaks.
5) Muriatic also makes a great vinaigrette if you water it down enough and use the proper olive oil... :cheers:

I hope this helps!

Aloha!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.