Hello please help!!!!

Lum791

May 12, 2012
I just got a index pool up. Planing on moving next year and wanted something for this summer here in NJ. The pool size is 18 by 48 i am running a index 2600 sand filter.
This is my first pool. After i filled it i put 2 quarts of bleach in the water and one 3 inch puck, and let the filter run all night, got up in the morning and tested the water using HTH kit got a 0 reading on total chorine / total bromine test. Next day i added 2 more quarts of bleach filter always running and got a 0 reading for total chorine and a reading of 7.5 on the PH. Is this normal? What should i do? Right after this post i am going to order a T100 kit. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you new GUY!

Lum791 said:
Water is crystal clear. Reading so much I am getting confused, shock with dichlor or bleach? Thanks in advance!
We recommend shocking with bleach. You kind of did this already, but you could do a Overnight Chlorine loss test (OCLT) to confirm you need to do the shocking process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test When doing the OCLT, I would bring your pool up to 10 ppm in the evening, then test 1 hour later, then repeat in the morning.

This depends on what you plan to use for chlorine during the summer, dichlor and trichlor will also add CYA stabilizer, and too much stabilizer is a bad thing. Assuming you have not added any stabilizer except that in the single trichlor puck you added to the pool, you can safely use up to about 4 pounds of Dichlor in your size pool before it becomes a problem with excess CYA stabilizer, however this would mean you should not use many trichlor pucks during the swim season (1 or 2 more might be ok later in the season after you have some splash out if you must use them while out of town on vacation, etc.) If you plan to continue to use trichlor pucks, I would limit dichlor use to 2 pounds, just enough to get up to the lower end of the acceptable CYA stabilizer range. Dichlor will also lower your pH so if you use it you will likely need to boost your pH.

If it were me and I planned to mainly use bleach for chlorine source during the summer, I would add 1 pound of dichlor now, retest chlorine and pH level in a few hours, adjust pH if needed , then if it drops below shock level quickly add another pound, then adjust pH again, then switch to bleach.

The important thing is use no more than 2 pounds total dichlor if your going to use trichlor pucks regularly , and not more than 4 pounds total if your going to use bleach for regular chlorination
Ike

p.s. without any CYA stabilizer in the water sunlight will quickly consume all the available chlorine

Aloha Lum791!!

It sounds like Isaac-1 found the big problem :goodjob: ...assuming that your fill water was good water, you are probably just experiencing "chlorine burnoff" from the sun (chlorine has a half-life of just 20 minutes in the sun if it is not stabilized with cyanuric acid. That means it will go from 10 ppm down to 1.25 ppm in just one hour in full sunlight! Yikes...you don't want to be pouring that stuff in all day long, right?

If you have only added liquid chlorine and the one puck, you will probably want to add dichlor (or a 4-in-1 type shock that contains dichlor) to get some cyanuric acid in the water. This will help your chlorine to last longer. When you get a good test kit, you will want to get your Cyanuric Acid somewhere in the realm of 30 ppm. Also, you will want to add some baking soda so your pH doesn't spike up and down radically due to chemical changes.

Your pH is good, and the addition of dichlor shouldn't change it very much...whereas the liquid chlorine will raise it a fair amount. So once you get your Cyanuric Acid up to acceptable level, and you start using liquid chlorine, just remember that you will probably need to add a bit of Muriatic Acid to keep your pH around 7.5.

Good call, Isaac!

Aloha!

Thanks guys going to add 1 pound of shock...test and try to fig it out with all the great info above. Sounds like bleach is the way to go. Thank you for taking the time to answer my posts

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.