Drain, acid wash and refill now what?

jag702

Aug 10, 2009
Las Vegas NV
Ive always had a pool and figured it was easy, I cant ever remember seeing a green spot and they were always perfect, this is Vegas, with a heater swim year round and things just are right.............................of coarse I always loved the comments on how nice my pools always were but never really mentioned that i had a pool guy take care of it..................

3 years ago we bought a new place and ive made some mods to the pool myself but ive left the cleaning to the pros. This year I decided im going to try myself, im a little slow but Im a hands on guy and I can learn. I may do a build thread on the waterfall I built and get some ideas as im not quite finished but I need to get the water right before I start using it.

I drained and did an acid wash. Over the winter my 3 year old decided to throw anything and everything he could find over the fence and into the pool, I didnt catch it in time and lots of rust marks and stains.

Acid wash and pumice scrub came out perfect, pool and tile look great but im not sure where to start with the newly tap water filled pool and I realy dont trust Leslies, every time I walk in the door they try to convice me I need $250 worth of Crud before I tell them the issues im having.

During the refill I left 5 4"chlorine tabs in the auto filler, 5 in the floater, a couple broke up in the spa and a couple smashed up in the bottom of the pool. When I acid washed the hot tub I used 1 gal 31% muriatic acid with 1 gal water and never drained it, just scrubbed clean and added water. After filling I circulated it through the pool and filter.

Kidney shaped inground white plaster pool, 32' long 3'6"-6'6" im guesing about 15,000 gallons but its a guess. Staright system 3 filter and vs-3050 pump.

I have a Taylor k-2005.
TC-0
CC-0
FC-0
PH-8
TA-100
CYA off the chart, the black dot never disappears
CH-200
temp-78f at test time today(I had it heated up to last weekend after the refill to 85 but deciced to turn it off until the chemicals are right)

If its possible what do I need to do this weekend to have my kiddo swimming tommarrow afternoon or Sunday?

First you need to lower the pH to around 7.4ish.

Then add about 4 ppm liquid chlorine/bleach and about 30ppm CYA via the sock method.

Your CYA that appears "off the chart" is actually ZERO - or very, very low. You just refilled your pool and unless you added CYA, it is not in your pool :wink:

About an hour after you add the chlorine with circulation, post back FC & CC test results.

How do you plan to clorinate the pool? Bleach/liquid chlorine? SWG? Other method?

Butterfly said:
First you need to lower the pH to around 7.4ish.

Then add about 4 ppm liquid chlorine/bleach and about 30ppm CYA via the sock method.

Your CYA that appears "off the chart" is actually ZERO - or very, very low. You just refilled your pool and unless you added CYA, it is not in your pool :wink:

About an hour after you add the chlorine with circulation, post back FC & CC test results.

How do you plan to clorinate the pool? Bleach/liquid chlorine? SWG? Other method?

Whats the best/fastest way to lower PH? I can run the waterfall, spa overflow and slide tonight if that would do it. Its late enough the only places I can pick up chemicals would be Walmart or HD but I dont think they have CYA.

Ill stop into NPS in the morning to get CYA and study up on the sock method tonight.

i dont really have a plan, just figured on using chlorine tabs but if thats bad im willing to learn.

As Dave said, tomorrow is fine.

But, FYI, Home Depot and Wally World do sell CYA a/k/a conditioner or stabilizer. The ingredients will say 96% to 100% cyanuric acid :wink:

However, they do not always have it in stock! You might wanna call before you go.

Butterfly said:
As Dave said, tomorrow is fine.

But, FYI, Home Depot and Wally World do sell CYA a/k/a conditioner or stabilizer. The ingredients will say 96% to 100% cyanuric acid :wink:

However, they do not always have it in stock! You might wanna call before you go.

Whod a thunk it, Home Depot. I now am in possession of 5 lbs of pool time 100% CYAcid, 2 gallons of step 2 chlorinating liquid and 2 gallons of crappy 14.5% muriatic acid. According to the fat rude lady working there "we dont have anything stronger,no way, the only stuff we carry is the safe stuff for pools". I just bought 31% to do the wash from Lowes in the paint section I think but I wasn't going to argue, hopefully this stuff is good enough.

According the calculator I only need to add about a half gallon of the 14.5 muriatic acid, a little under half a gallon of the 10% chlorinating liquid and just under 4 lbs 100% CYA. Did I input something wrong or does this sound right??

jag702 said:
According the calculator I only need to add about a half gallon of the 14.5 muriatic acid, a little under half a gallon of the 10% chlorinating liquid and just under 4 lbs 100% CYA. Did I input something wrong or does this sound right??
That looks about right to me.

jag702 said:
During the refill I left 5 4"chlorine tabs in the auto filler, 5 in the floater, a couple broke up in the spa and a couple smashed up in the bottom of the pool.
Were those trichlor tabs? I have not heard of 4 inch tabs. Please post what they are. If they were 3 inch trichlor tabs, and you added 14 to your 15000 gallon pool, then you have already added 31 ppm cya to your pool, not including the stabilizer you put in tonight. If 14 have not disolved yet, I would take them out. Also, if they are trichlor, I would take your cya sock out until we figure out how much cya is already in the pool.

With all those tabs, I am surprised your FC test was 0 unless you added them days ago. I

linen said:
jag702 said:
That looks about right to me.

jag702 said:
During the refill I left 5 4"chlorine tabs in the auto filler, 5 in the floater, a couple broke up in the spa and a couple smashed up in the bottom of the pool.
Were those trichlor tabs? I have not heard of 4 inch tabs. Please post what they are. If they were 3 inch trichlor tabs, and you added 14 to your 15000 gallon pool, then you have already added 31 ppm cya to your pool, not including the stabilizer you put in tonight. If 14 have not disolved yet, I would take them out. Also, if they are trichlor, I would take your cya sock out until we figure out how much cya is already in the pool.

With all those tabs, I am surprised your FC test was 0 unless you added them days ago. I

I just went out and looked and they are 3" trichloramentasomthinorother, 4 was just a off the top of my head guess. My wife says im an old fart thats getting forgetful, i refilled the pool the weekend before last so its been approximately 2 weeks since. There really isnt anything left of the tabs I put in when I refilled it, some remnants in the floater is about it.

I have an old stretched out sock filled with 4 LBS of CYA hung from a wire hooked to a rake being held down on the deck by a piece of sandstone, sitting in front a return jet in the pool now.

should i test for something particular now or wait until the morning?

jag702 said:
I just went out and looked and they are 3" trichloramentasomthinorother, 4 was just a off the top of my head guess. My wife says im an old fart thats getting forgetful, i refilled the pool the weekend before last so its been approximately 2 weeks since. There really isnt anything left of the tabs I put in when I refilled it, some remnants in the floater is about it.
Yep that is trichlor. So if your estimate of 14 3" trichlor tabs is accurate, you should already have about 31 ppm cya in the pool. Since the recommended range for a non-swg pool is 30-50 ppm, I would take the sock out tomorrow morning and keep it out until we/you are confident in the measurement. Easy to add, but takes a drain and refill to remove.

Review the extended test kit directions: http://www.troublefreepool.com/extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206397

I would then test again for cya.

When was your last cya test?

How is your ph looking?

linen said:
jag702 said:
Yep that is trichlor. So if your estimate of 14 3" trichlor tabs is accurate, you should already have about 31 ppm cya in the pool. Since the recommended range for a non-swg pool is 30-50 ppm, I would take the sock out tomorrow morning and keep it out until we/you are confident in the measurement. Easy to add, but takes a drain and refill to remove.

Review the extended test kit directions: http://www.troublefreepool.com/extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206397

I would then test again for cya.

When was your last cya test?

How is your ph looking?

All the numbers I posted are current from tonight before I added the sock, ill retake all the chem measurements in the A.M.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As of 7 AM this morning:
TC 1.5
FC 1.5
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 110
CYA 38
CH 230
temp 77

I added half a gal each of muriatic acid and chlorinater then ran the pump on hi with the sock and 4 lbs of cya in front of one of the deep end return jets all night, there is about half of the CYA still in it and not dissolved yet. For now I pulled it out of the water.

Does having no chemicals in the water make it evaporate faster? I noticed the water is down at least an inch since I filled it and the auto filler is working. I dont see any cracks in the plaster

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.