Mallard Duck Living Near Pool - Water Treatment Advice

atomicpool

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2007
Dallas, TX
There is a female mallard duck living in my backyard. For a few weeks, the male and female would stand by the pool and wash off in the water. Now, the female has built a nest in the backyard (and she has laid several eggs) and she occasionally swims and takes a bath in the pool.

Please let me know if I should be treating the water any differently. I've kept the chlorine level a bit higher than usual. It is a salt walt pool. Everything looks clear and tests within range. After the duck takes a bath, there is some dirt on the bottom of the pool, but it cleans off by the end of the day with the pool sweep. Should I add any additional chemicals, shock or chlorine? Is there is a problem with the duck using the pool? Thanks for your help.

-Mark

atomicpool,

Welcome to the forum. Duck advice is one of our specialties as you can tell from sefrlw's post. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If she's still laying (usually one a day for about ten days), you can remove the eggs and she'll most likely go away. Once she starts incubation (sitting on the nest all day) you'll be hard pressed to get rid of her and, in about 30 days, you'll have ten more to deal with. They may choose your pool to put the babies in but, far more often, they'll take them to a larger body of water and raise them there (You got a pond or creek nearby?)

Duck poop is not of my favorite swimming pool additives but I've probably swum in much worse over the years. As with any organics you don't want in your pool, extra chlorine is the answer. I've watched a lot of Mallards and wood ducks nest and hatch their babies in my pond.....it really very interesting.....the pair will demonstrate some amazingly strong "family" habits if you want to put up with the hassle of them being there. Good luck.

That's even better than the mourning dove that has made a nest in one of my Mexican Fan palm trees by my pool. I'd love to see some pics of the ducks.

Craig

Pics of Momma Duck in the Pool

Thanks for the advice. The rubbery ducky idea sounds good.

Here's a slideshow of momma duck in the pool and there are a few pics of her nesting spot. It is fun, so I'll wait it out and see what happens. I have some photos of the male and female together that I took a few weeks ago. I assume the male duck is long gone by now.

Duck Slide Show:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiltonlane ... 6739/show/

To discourage ducks, you can run pieces of fishing line etc. back and forth above the pool. Use enough so every 8 ft or so there is a string. It can be 8 or 10 feet in the air. This makes them very nervous about the area because they aren't sure they can fly away if they need to. It will usually run them off.

duraleigh said:
atomicpool,
Welcome to the forum. Duck advice is one of our specialties as you can tell from sefrlw's post. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes welcome!

Sorry guys just a bit of a smart Rear post. I just thought it was cute. :oops: I will stay on topic from here on out.

Will the fishing line work for bats also? We get dive bombed every night when it gets dark and would love to keep them away without hurting them.

Thanks

Sorry guys just a bit of a smart Rear post. I just thought it was cute. I will stay on topic from here on out.
I think everyone took it in the spirit in which you intended it....I certainly did :lol: :lol: :lol: .......I think my post was the one that could have been (was) misinterpreted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
great pics!!
we actually have the same problem going on...for the past few weeks we keeping shooing away the male and female taking a nice swim on the pool cover (the pool drained down to the light, another issue)
but, tonight we were all out there and here come the ducks and my husband says the ducks went behind the solar cover reel and are having some "duck fun". so I go and investigate and sure enough some wild duck love was going on :oops:

I did my best scary go away shoooo and they jumped/flew up and flew back into the pool and then I'm positive I got cussed out in duck (the female was really giving me a good quack)....of course you would think the dogs would be helping me out...not even their barks were scarying them away. I finally had to get the net pole and spash it on the water and away they went...I'm sure tomorrow I will walk outside and get pooped on by those ducks :lol:

gotta love spring...I'm sure it will be the squirrels next week.

Chris

40yr IG 20 x 40 gunite

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.