Major pool Chemistry problem

Not really sure what happened to it unless the bacteria was eating it to cause the ammonia issue. I added dichlor 3 times to shock level of 10 which meant I added 27 ppm of cya in theory. But I am happy to see CC dropping and FC rising. Couple more shocks should do it, I hope..

Couple more shocks should do it, I hope..
You may not be getting the gist of how shocking works. Applying chlorine and walking away isn't shocking. Shocking involves attaining shock level for your CYA and *HOLDING* it there consistently until there is no overnight loss, CC<1, and the water is clear. If you allow the FC to drop during this time, you allow algae to multiply (which it does by doubling, so it takes virtually NO time to bloom big). This is a process, and it ain't done until it is done.

OK Update on pool. I just got home from Boston, My test reagents were waiting for me. The readings on my test kits were:
FC 5.5
CC 1.0
PH 7.2
TA 110
The CYA level is reading 40. Not sure why my neighbors test was 0 maybe it didnt register yet.
Pool is still a little cloudy but you can see the bottom of deep end.
I put in 4 jugs of CL to a shock level of 18ppm
Brushed the entire pool.
I will check back in an hour and add more if needed. The shock process will work better with me being present. I was just trying to maintain while away from home and noone to do the treatment for me. I know i prolonged this process but at least the thing improved while I was managing from 8 hours away.

Tested 1 hour later 9:30
FC was 22.5 ;45 drops of reagent
CC was 0.5 ;1 drop of reagent
Tested 2 1/2 hours later 11:00
FC was 22.5
CC was 0
Pool still cloudy but numbers looking good.
Thank you to everyone. I really appreciate your help. Hopefully this is it!

Did you ever re-test your CYA since the latest addition? If it's been less than 5 days since you added, there is no need yet but I think it is important you get an accurate test...I didn't like that 0 test while you were away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just got home from work and tested : it was 6:00 last time I tested. It is 4:00 now. 10 hours between tests.
Sunny Sky 78 degrees.
Pool is in direct sun from 8:30 Am
FC is 14.5
CC is 0.0
Pool is still a little cloudy. But improving.
I need to vacuum all debris up tomorrow. Not that much but some fine particles.
Should I dare shut the pump off and let it all settle to bottom? Any other suggestions are welcome. Patience is not a virtue of mine! I just want my pool back.
Thanks

Passed overnight chlorine loss test on Friday. Pool continues to clear up. It rained >1 inch today while at work. Came home and checked chemicals.
ph 7.6
FC 4
CC 1
Is this because of the rain or something else.
Started shock process again.
I am confused and worried I have something else wrong or I am missing something. When I saw the pink show up as CC my heart sank. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jason, I just took it up to 16.5 ppm and Cc was at 0. 1 hour after shock. It makes me sick to think I have to redo the shocking process. At least this starting point is better than last week. The more I learn the more anxious I become about this pool and it's appearance. I may be over thinking the whole process, but it's annoying to see some of my friends that have no idea about chemistry related to pool or what cya is and they throw their puck in and forget about it. Their pool appears perfect. Me I am doing math problems to figure out shock level etc and mine is hazy. It figures. Thanks for your help. I will contribute as soon as I pay off my SAMs club bill. 50 jugs of bleach and counting.

Johnny-M said:
It makes me sick to think I have to redo the shocking process.

It sounds like your FC was low even before the rain? Since your pool was not clear yet, you did not pass all three end of shocking criteria (see my sig) and therefore you should be still shocking.

Don't let that FC drop below 15 ppm (per poolcalulator.com) until you pass all three criteria :whip:

Yeah that was my fault I guess. I let i slip down to around 5 ppm. I thought i was done. I was so happy to pass he o.c.l.t test and have 0 cc in the pool That I never let it get to the "crystal" clear part. I figured the sand filter would get rid of the rest of he floaters causing the Haziness in the deepend. I could see the bottom clearly but it was not pristine. Onto hour number four of this shocking saga.

Pool update
Had a FC loss last night of 2ppm over a 4 hour span.
Added bleach up to 18 ppm. At 11:00 It rained again throughout the night.
6:30 am.
FC was 14.5
CC was < 0.5 I use half of a drop.
PH 7.6
Cya 40-45ppm
Pool clear in shallow end. Hazy in deep end. I can see all the patterns on the floor but not perfectly clear. My wife thinks I am obsessed. But I know what crystal clear looks like and it is not there yet.
I added 2 cups of DE to filter. Added 2 jugs of bleach to a projected FC of 20ppm. Brushed pool and I gotta go to work. Anything I am missing?
Sorry to keep asking. I just want to get this thing clear for the weekend.
any suggestion or guidance is appreciated. I know you have walked many people through the process so THANK YOU again for helping me!
I have never had this hard of a time to get the pool clear. As I become more informed I think my luck goes the opposite way to test my knowledge or patience. One of those I don't have much of, you can decide which one.
John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.