Target CYA level

Mar 18, 2008
I have been running a CYA level of 30.

My pool is full sun (if there is such a thing in NE Ohio), heavy bathing load and uncovered (I know..but this will not for negotiation says the wife).

My chorine use is about 3-4 ppm/day (0.5 gal bleach/day).

Would running a CYA of closer to 50 decrease some of my chlorine loss?

Does anyone else run a "higher" CYA level in a non-SWG pool?

Yes, people do use higher CYA levels sometimes, particularly in area that get a great deal of direct sunlight. There are both advantages and disadvantages to using higher CYA levels. Generally up to a CYA of about 80 the disadvantages aren't too serious. Higher CYA levels require higher FC levels. Shocking the pool at higher CYA levels can require much more chlorine, even though running day to day generally requires less chlorine.

ideliver said:
I have been running a CYA level of 30.

My pool is full sun (if there is such a thing in NE Ohio), heavy bathing load and uncovered (I know..but this will not for negotiation says the wife).

My chorine use is about 3-4 ppm/day (0.5 gal bleach/day).

Would running a CYA of closer to 50 decrease some of my chlorine loss?

Does anyone else run a "higher" CYA level in a non-SWG pool?
:wave: I do!!!

My pool likes a higher CYA level...somewhere around 70 ppm. It's in full sun, but my swimming loads are only high on the weekends. When I had the pool at 30-35 ppm CYA, I was putting in lots a bleach every evening. When I had it at 70 ppm, I was putting in bleach every other evening. I also do maintenace dosing with polyquat maybe 1-2X/month. Moreover, I pretty much have my filter/pump going 24/7. Very rarely do I put the timer on, and if I do, it's 12on/12off. I like my water to sparkle, and sparkle it does!
lowrespp.jpg

This is what works for MY pool. I'm sure what works for me may not work for others. But I've only had one green algae problem and that was on opening after my first winter. Waited too long and water temps got high and no chlorine. Disaster. I've also only had one cloudy episode and that was during my low CYA period after a kids swim party. Cleared by next morning with proper chlorination and constant circulation.

CaryB

Many people find that running a higher CYA and a higher FC level work well when pools are exposed to a LOT of direct sunlight. Nothing wrong with it up to about 80 ppm as JasonLion said!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.