Chlorine holding but still cloudy

Apr 3, 2012
I've got my free chlorine holding now but the pool is still really cloudy. I've been brushing and vacuuming daily. Test from this evening show:

FC: 32
CC: 0
pH: 7.2
TA: 300???
CYA: 80
CH: 90

I had to guess at the TA. The kit says it will go from green to red. Mine went from green to blue to yellow then I stopped adding reagent when the color stopped changing. So I really don't know what TA is. Is there anything else I should do or just keep vacuuming and brushing for a while longer? I do have the SWG running and I'm sure that is helping with the FC levels.

How long has it been since you passed the over night test? Have you been running the filter 24/7 during the shock process? Have you tried adding a little DE to the filter if it has been a few days since you passed the test?

Have you tried to run the TA test again? How old are the reagents?

zea3 said:
How long has it been since you passed the over night test? Have you been running the filter 24/7 during the shock process? Have you tried adding a little DE to the filter if it has been a few days since you passed the test?

Have you tried to run the TA test again? How old are the reagents?

I passed the overnight from last night. The filter has been going 24/7 for about a week of shocking. I have never used DE before but I only put the pool in last summer. I didn't try the TA test again but the reagents are new. I just got them a few weeks ago.

Adding a little DE to a sand filter tends to improve the filtering.

It can take a sand filter up to a week (or perhaps more) to completely clear up a cloudy pool. You should see a visible improvement in the water clarity each day. If you aren't seeing any improvement then worry, but otherwise let the filter do it's job and backwash as needed when the pressure goes up.

I ran the TA test again.

I rinsed with pool water first
Filled the large vial to 25ml
Added 2 drops of R-007
Added 5 drops of R-008
Added 12 drops of R-009 swirling after each drop, I did not wipe the bottle though
After the 12th drop it turned yellow like below. I did the test a few days ago and it turned red like its supposed to but now it won't.

766BD3EE-orig.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.