pool water smells like paint after painting

Gary R

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2012
Hi to all;

Pool was expoxy over epoxy painted about 4 weeks ago and filled about 5 days later due to fear of popping. The water now smells like paint. The local pool store (Leslies) had no solution. Chemical balance is correct according to them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary R

Many thanks for your response!!

ph=7.4
FC=5
TAC=5
TA=120
CYA=30
CH=260

I can put my nose to the coping that was also painted and it smells of paint along with the water.

Thanks for any help!

Hi, Gary,

I think time is probably going to be your best friend. Just like in your house, new paint gives off a noticeable smell for a period of time. If your water is clear and you maintain that chemistry (your numbers look good, almost perfect) I think that smell will fade over the next few days and slowly get fainter.

Shocking may, in fact help, but I believe time will be your best ally.

We had an unlined steel pool for 55 years and we painted it at least every two years due to rust spots (Koppers Type S chlorinated rubber special steel pool paint--nasty stuff). I think the recommendation was seven days drying before fill (we never waited that long). One year the weather really tricked us and rain slammed us about four hours after we finished the last coat. My brother and I said "..... it" and decided to just fill it since the paint was getting soaked anyway. It really smelled, but we stuck it out and by the time it warmed up from the 55°F fill, the smell was almost gone. That was about 2-3 weeks. After a month, it was totally gone.

The smelly part of paint is the volatiles; they go away.

Hi Durk;

Thanks for adding you info. Added some Leslie's Fresh and Clear this a.m., seemed a little less odor later today. It will be warmer this week in our area so maybe everything will be OK.

Thanks to all for responding!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.