Pools up and landscaping's done!

SuzyAbbott

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 29, 2011
Hamilton, NJ
So here's our 9x18 ultraframe. We purchased one of the resin decks and finally finished the landscaping. We "tried" to do it the right way and got permits, etc, etc. $1300 for electrical and bonding and we'll still never be able to get the final inspection done. Not happy. They are requiring that the water be bonded and we can't find anything that will fit the salt water generator. I've had it up and full since March, the salt water generator is the BEST thing! I would not recommend the solar rings, they are a pain in the butt and the birds use them as bird baths so I wouldn't waste my money on them. No issues with chlorine generation, it's up go 70 degrees now so I might have to get one of the tubes out and float ON the water this weekend!

For pool base my guys did cinders underneath, we let that settle for about a month before setting up the pool. Also put the gorilla base underneath and patio blocks under the legs. One corner settled maybe an inch, but not too bad. Resin deck, pea gravel and a wood frame and stepping stones. We had a set of steps from our hot tub and thats awesome for us shorter folks, makes it really easy to clean and put stuff in/out of.

So happy with our pool, now I wish we got the bigger one!

Oh, also got one of the robots that vacuums it, its awesome! Also picked up an offset umbrella and a spa bar which fits perfectly on the far end of the pool for when the sun's shining. Resort vacation at home!!

If anyone has any info on bonding the water of the pool please let me know, I sure would like to be able to finish it the "right" way!

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 814
I've never heard of "bonding the water", but am interested in any responses to that. I thought you bonded everything else to keep current OUT of the water. Nice job! Love to see a pic of this "spa bar" of which you speak.
Happy floating till it warms up.

Sorry, I don't understand "bond" the water. Are they talking about insurance?
or something mechanical/electrical? I've never heard the term before.

Oh, I love the picture you posted but, I'd love to see some more pictures,
maybe closer up on your underlay, the deck and that sparkly water we all know you have! :-D

They've been real "busters" on this and I don't know why. They basically made us do it as if it's a permanent pool, because of the # of gallons in it. We did the bonding under the base, bonded to the legs, bonded the filter and now we have to bond the water. it's some kind of special pipe that goes between the filter and pool so as the water goes through it's grounded. we can't find anything that will work without having to do hard pipe plumbing. the electrical has already cost almost double what the pool did (great deal on amazon back in december!)

Here's a couple more photos. I have an a frame ladder if anyone can use that...it didn't meet code either... it was a $200 ladder, not the intex one. if you're in NJ/Philly area and can use it I'd love to get $50 bucks for it! brand new in box!

Anyway, here's some pics!

Attachments

• poolinstall.jpg
    poolinstall.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 795
  • pooldone.jpg
    pooldone.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 794

Both of these that Melt put up would work, the second one would be very easy to install in a return line, and attach a bond wire to.

It is in the 2008 NEC.
2008 NEC reads, “680.26(C). Pool Water. An intentional bond of a minimum conductive surface area of 5806 mm2 (9 in2) shall be installed in contact with the pool water. This bond shall be permitted to consist of parts that are required to be bonded in 680.26(B).”

We picked up a bundy water bug kit today. We're still trying to resolve. This one bolts on the skimmer. Should still work even "over the side". Even nj state NEC officials couldn't tell us what to do. Oy!!

The pea gravel works great! We had one block break under one of the legs. We made the mistake of leaving the submersible pump and hose in the pool after unplugging it and ended up emptying the whole thing. Fixed the block, refilled and rechemicaled. Well see if it survives a nj winter!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lattimer said:
I had similar issues with permits when trying to install a traditional above ground pool. Turns out they just won't let me-----but my 16x48 Intex needs no permit.

Just be careful in thinking no permit is required. Even if it is not required in your jurisdiction, most pools (even temporary) with 2ft or more water water depth still have to comply with code. The permit/inspection process only confirms the code has been met.

Below is example of NYS definition of a pool

http://www.dos.ny.gov/DCEA/pdf/PoolsumUC0708.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.