Tested the water under the cover

Mar 18, 2008
I have a solid safely cover and took a water sample from the skimmer area.

FC=0
CC=0
pH=6.8 (or lower??)
TA=30
CYA=0
Borate= not tested

I closed in late September to

FC=10
CC=0
pH=7.6
TA=100
CYA=30
Borate=50

Two questions:

How bad is this pH for my 7 year old liner?

What the heck happened with my pH and TA?

How bad is this pH for my 7 year old liner? Not too bad if it's 6.8....not good at all if it's a lot lower. I'd try to get some borax in there. Do you have a submersible pump so you could get a little circulation 'til you open up? Again, if it's 6.8, that should be no problem

What the heck happened with my pH and TA? I wish I could answer that. I shut down my pool @ 7.6 and I had 8.0 + when I started cleaning 4 days ago....I have no explanantion for it or why yours went the other way.

duraleigh said:
How bad is this pH for my 7 year old liner? Not too bad if it's 6.8....not good at all if it's a lot lower. I'd try to get some borax in there. Do you have a submersible pump so you could get a little circulation 'til you open up? Again, if it's 6.8, that should be no problem

What the heck happened with my pH and TA? I wish I could answer that. I shut down my pool @ 7.6 and I had 8.0 + when I started cleaning 4 days ago....I have no explanantion for it or why yours went the other way.

Thanks for the quick reply...I don't have a submersible pump...but I may open this week...I figure, might as well open...the only thing that will happen if I leave covered is it will turn into the usual pond that it becomes by mid-may...

Can "acid snow/rain" have this affect on my pH/TA?

Yeah, I'd open it up. You really should get another reading on your pH and make sure you're in the "comfort zone" of 6.8 or better......I'd still dissolve some borax in warm water and spread it around under the cover.....pump or no pump. It'll disperse pretty easily.....shoot for the mid 7's.

Very little doubt in my mind that "acid rain" is NOT your problem.......but I don't know what is.

You will want to get circulation going before you test. I checked my pool with reasonable ph 7.4, good calcium, ta etc. When I got circulation going my ph went way up, calcium and t/a way way way up.

Since your skimmer cover has a hole in it, your water in the skimmer is going to be mostly rain water by the end of the season unless the pool water level is over the skimmer opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.