Renter's guide to pool care

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
I have a rental property that has a pool. I've been working on that pool for the last week getting it open. You can see my post about it in the "just getting started" section. Since it is a rental property, I'm not going to be going there every day to check on the state of things so I want to make a check list of sorts for my renter to go by on general daily, or every few day, checks that need to be done.

Do any of you have a situation like this? Do you have a list you give to your renter with the necessary info? Any ideas on the best way to handle this situation? I'm new to rental property management but the renter has agreed to assist in the maintenance of the pool and has a limited knowledge of pools.

I tend to agree with the comment above, if it is a very good renter then they MAY call you if the pump dies or something, more likely you will get a call at some point saying the pool turned into swamp a few weeks ago and the kids have an ear infection and they want you to pay the doctor's bill. Get a service, make sure they are insured and pass along the cost to the renter.

I would also have to agree with the above posts...BUT, do not just hire ANY pool service. Since you are already aware/active on TFP, you are ahead of most pool owners (and even SOME pool service companies). If it were me, I would interview several pool service options, and ask them about their pool management plan. In some cases, pool service techs will show up, throw in a trichlor puck, and then leave. Ask them about their target levels for your pool, and how they plan to maintain them. Of course, speak with references if possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.