Maintaining CYA Question

Sep 20, 2011
Is it recommended to ELEVATE when needed your CYA using 3 inch Pucks? Not sure how much stabilizer a 3" puck would add to the water but I was thinking of adding one puck in a floating basket to help keep my CYA from falling below 40.

My current water test using the TF100

CYA 40
FC 6
CC 0
TA 140
PH 7.5

CYA will not go down unless you replace water. A CYA of 40 is a good level (assuming you don't have a SWCG). If it were me, I would stay away from pucks at this point.

Blake, thanks for the reply.....I dont have a SWCG and the only reason I am asking this question is with the rains and adding water I have noticed my CYA dropping a little over time. I would like to keep my CYA at about 40 and thinking of adding a puck or two (per week) in a floating basket to keep the CYA from falling to low....just curious.

kmgambino11 said:
Blake, thanks for the reply.....I dont have a SWCG and the only reason I am asking this question is with the rains and adding water I have noticed my CYA dropping a little over time. I would like to keep my CYA at about 40 and thinking of adding a puck or two (per week) in a floating basket to keep the CYA from falling to low....just curious.
Gotcha! Well in that case, yes you could use a puck every once in a while. I live in CA, so we don't get much rain this time of year. I would stay on the safe side and start with just one puck..and keep an eye on your CYA. Since it takes time for the CYA to dissolve and register on your test..don't get impatient and add too many. Testing your CYA weekly is where I would start. According to the pool calculator, adding 8oz of trichlor will raise FC by 3.9, and raise CYA by 2.3 (remember this will not happen all at once). Just something to keep in mind! :goodjob:

Happy to help! Just in case you don't notice the edit I did on my last post...
According to the pool calculator, adding 8oz of trichlor will raise FC by 3.9, and raise CYA by 2.3 (remember this will not happen all at once). Just something to keep in mind!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.