Transferring water

Mar 21, 2012
NC
Hey guys, well it is taking me forever to get my pool in the ground. Mainly timing of the person leveling the site for me (relative) and birthdays and mothers day. But it will happen. So here is my thought. I want to get a pool going. I have an intex that we have ran for the last couple of years and I am hoping to sell anyway, so why not set it up and get my water warming up and that will make it easier to sell anyway. I ran the pool last year with a SWG (the kind you can buy for an intex pool), but when we put up our 33', I want that to be the BBB method. My question is, is it possible (easy actually, anything is possible), to run a pool on a SWG, then pump the water over to the other pool when the pool is ready and convert it to BBB, or should I just unplug the cooper strips on the SWG making it essentially just a pump, and start my smaller pool on BBB? Not having a pool set up already is driving me and my kids crazy, not to mention the stuff all over my yard. Thanks for any input in advance.

A swcg pool is really a BBB pool. BBB is more about the philosophy of knowing what you're putting in your pool and why than about the particular chemicals you add.

So on to your question, Go ahead and set the Intex pool up and disconnect the copper bars (the swcg will still operate provided you add the proper amount of salt) and when you get the new pool set up just pump the water from the existing pool to the new pool and start enjoying it.

If you want the swcg to work, yes. Just add bleach to get it to the proper FC for the CYA and then add the salt. If you're sure you don't want to use the swcg on the new pool you may want to just use bleach and not worry about the swcg. Either way will work. The only caveat is that if you use the swcg in the old pool but not in the new one you'll have to either run your CYA lower than recommended or drain off some of the water if it is too high when you transfer the water to the new pool.

Ok, I follow, I will set it up for salt originally. The new pool is 33' and the old pool is 16' (round) so that should work out good if I am understanding the BBB correctly. The salt initially added will be an "enhancement" to the chlorine pool once I fill the chlorine pool up with water. Just FYI, if someone was wondering, I am not running salt on the new pool because (among other reasons), the SWG is a pump and filter in one and the new pool of course will have a much bigger pump and filter. Thanks Bama.

You appear to have a good handle on it. Even if you brought the CYA up to 80 ppm, by the time you pumped it into the larger pool and finished filling it up it's going to be much lower than that. Same thing with the salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.