Gunite Sealer?

Seth22

May 11, 2012
Maine
We bought a house 4 years ago with a gunite pool. We are in Maine, so we only get to use it for 3 months or so a year. The limited use period, limited funds, and limited interest in the pool doesn't lead us to want to put too much money into the pool.

The pool is approx 30 years old. The gunite is fairly pitted/rough and is a great place for algae to grow. Integrity of the gunite is fair. We have only had the pool open 1 of the 4 years we have been here, due to the algae growth/stains. I was "okay" with the pool chemicals, but not religious. 2 years ago, I drained, acid washed, pressure washed, and it was bright white. I was ready to expoxy paint... then it rained for what seemed like 40 days and I didn't paint. Now with other house projects, I can't bring myself to spend $1500+ on epoxy paint. Plus, with our very high water table, I fear the epoxy application may fail.

Pool wasn't used last year and has completely filled with "natural water". I plan on draining and pressure washing. Probably won't acid wash as I don't want to eat through to much gunite.

Now, my question!
1) Should staying on a very strict BBC program keep the gunite fairly "white".
2) If BBC isn't enough, is there any clear sealant for gunite pools that would deter growth? I'd rather not paint, as I don't want it to peel. I'd LOVE to find a sealant that may slowly degrade, but not peel. I'm thinking of some sort of masonry sealer.

Any help/thought is appreciated.

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

Post a pic of the pool and we'll have a better idea.

If you'll stick to the regimen practiced here you should have a clear swimmable pool no matter what shape the plaster is in. Once you get it clear, it's easy to keep clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.