going from green to clear - FC does not seem to be dropping

moneytastesbad

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2009
Hello, I fired up the filter and removed the cover on Monday. Following the instructions in the Swamp to Oasis thread, I added bleach. I tested a half hour later and had a FC level of 18 (using the TFTestKit). I checked again an hour later and it was the same.

I have added very little bleach since then, and my level is still staying around 20. It is barely dropping at all and I have yet to see it go below 18.

We have had a lot of rain the past few days, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. The greenness is still at about the same level as when I started. Last year, using the same methods, my FC dropped dramatically each hour for the first few days.

Any ideas what is going on?

My other test readings:

PH 7.7
TA 100
CYA 40

Re: going from green to clear - FC does not seem to be dropp

Count yourself lucky. It is certainly unusual that your FC hasn't dropped (you're not running a chlorinator or SWG, are you?) but it should be easy for you to keep the FC where you want it for the duration of the process.

Wish I could explain it better but there is certainly nothing wrong with what's happening in your pool. It'll drop in time.

Dave,

My test kit is stored in a cool dark place. I got it late summer 2010. Should I replace any of my kit? Could I be getting inaccurate numbers because it is old?

When you backwashed, was the water exiting discolored or clear? It may just be a matter of time. I have read a lot about the Cl not being used much at all, and then all of a sudden it kicks in and starts burning up!

If you run the pump for a while, and the backwash is clear to start, it may indicate something with your filter, but I wouldnt go down that route yet!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.