Looking at a used pool robot vac. -Opinions Welcome

Glock30

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Here is the ad:

Aquabot robotic pool cleaner. Works fantastic! Just drop it in and this vacuum does all the scrubbing and picking up of everything. Used four seasons, bought new for $1000.00. Moving and no longer need this.

Local cash sale only. $300.00

Anyone know anything about these?
Do they last?
Any parts I should replace right away?
Good buy?

Etc. Etc.

Thanks!

Sounds like a fair price. I had one given to me and used it only twice. It would spin its tires (tracks) tring to climb my walls and I was worried that the hard plastic rims that the tracks ran on might damage my liner if it spun in one place for any amount of time, so I quit using it. The freind that gave it to me had a 90,000 gallon zero entry gunite pool and said it was fantastic.

Good buy?
Maybe, maybe not. What model is it....there is a difference in the cleaning capacity. Robots seem to last maybe 4-8 years (mine is 4 now) and they do get some wear and tear.

Without knowing more, it's impossible to say but I would hazard a guess that it is an OK deal if it's one of the more robust (powerful) models and a stinky deal if it's one of the entry level robots.

Glock30 said:
Got some more info:

Aquabot Turbo
Model 800028
Serial # 0522985

Its a decent deal if its in very good shape. If a motor needs to be replaced it is going to cost you $300 - $400 to get it going.

Some pool stores sell refurb pool cleaners with 1 year warranties. This might be a better way to go. Itll cost you a few more bucks but might save you a headache.

I bought my robot new about 4 years ago. I already had to replace both motors at different times, cost me close to $800.

I wouldn't even look in the direction of a 4 year old robotic cleaner.

These are sold for about $835 right now brand new. The motors last about 3-5 years on these cleaners and will set you back 300-400. Why spend several hundred on one that is going to cost you that in repairs in the next year or so. Also Aquabots are notorious for being the most expensive to repair.

I would suggest if your looking for a smaller price tag to look for the some of the lower end priced robotics (ie SmartPool). You can find these in the 500-600 range and will be brand new with a warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.