Fafco check valve

ixlr8

May 10, 2012
I have an old Fafco solar system (approx. 20) years) and I have a check valve that has gone bad, at least I believe that is the case. When the filter shuts off I have DE draining back into the pool. Anyway, I've been told by a couple of people in the field that I need to replace the entire pluming setup ($800.00) because you can no longer buy these check valves. I find this hard to believe.

Does anyone know if these valves are still available and where I might be able to purchase one.

Thank you.

Maybe it doesn't have to be, I was told that they are no longer manufactured by Fafco in this style. I've just started my investigation as to whether this is true or not. As for the $800.00, the quote did include a new controller in addition to replacement of the piping. I just find it hard to believe that you need to upgrade all of these components because a check valve is out of date.

Here is a picture of the setup. I'm not really experienced at this, so I'm not entirely sure which check valve is failing. I can tell you that when the pump is shut off and water is draining back. There are two pipes in the upper left of the picture that have been painted orange, the bottom of the two (the one without the grey check valve) makes a chattering noise when the water is draining back. Anyway, are these valves interchangeable and does anyone know if this would be the the valve that is failing?

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF0013.JPG
    DSCF0013.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 111
It looks like you're missing a valve where the black rubber patch on the discharge of the filter is. That valve should be there to divert the water to the solar panels. If you have a controller it will be an actuated valve.

I'm not sure what the gray thing is. I assume a check valve and if it is, you can replace it with a standard PVC check valve.

Without an automatic valve where the black hose is, water is going to backflow through the filter some every time you shut the pump off even if you replace the "gray" check valve. Maybe not as much but it will some.

Thanks for the reply. The black rubber patch houses an actuated valve that is attached to the temp controller, it is working fine as far as I know. The gray thing is a manual valve, but the red t-handle has broken off. It shuts the water supply off to the panels when they are not being used and diverts the water directly back into the pool. Anyway, I've checked the filters screens and there are no holes, so I'm at a loss as to why I keep getting back flow. I just assumed that a check valve must not be closing. If you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

If you look at the bottom right of the filter tank there is a pipe coming out of the filter tank that has a check valve. The water filters though the tank, goes though this check valve and travels through the rest of the system. Do you think that it may not be closing property and letting water run backwards and through the tank and dispersing DE into the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dave J.

I was looking at the check valve that needs to be replaced per our past conversations. Do you need to cut the pipe to replace the old check valve, or do you just loosen the threaded connections on each side? It looks like they may have been attached to the pipe with pvc glue and will not turn.

I see two check valves in the picture. One down low to the right of the filter and the other right below the gray valve. I recently had a similar valve fail. It cost me about $35 for a new valve plus a coupling a piece of PVC and some glue. You can replace all your check valves for $100 in a couple hours.

Thank you, but what is the procedure to change a check valve. Do you need to cut the pipe on either side of the check valve, or can you simply unscrew the couplings and remove the old valve. Haven't done this before so any details would be greatly appreciated. Also, how do you know what check valve to purchase? Are they universal to all systems?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.