Easiest way to clean small & shallow pool (similar to a spa)

Apr 17, 2012
Southeast Louisiana
Our fiberglass pool (if it ever gets completed) has a small (about 6'x6', 6" deep) attached "tanning ledge" (we call it the baby pool):

IMG_0698.jpg

The main pool will eventually have a Polaris pressure-side cleaner, but in the meantime I've been manually vacuuming it periodically, at which time I also vacuum the tanning ledge. Once the automatic cleaner is in place, I assume I won't be manually vacuuming nearly as much, but since it's not going to be cleaning the tanning ledge, dirt will accumulate in there. I'd hate to have to haul out and assemble the vacuum gear regularly just for cleaning the dirt out of this small pool.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about cleaning this?

--Michael

Re: Easiest way to clean small & shallow pool (similar to a

If it were me I would get one of those "catfish" style rechargable hand held vacs (they look like an underwater dustbuster hand vac) and do the small part by hand, the smaller units generally sold for seasonal above ground pools sell for around $100 at Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc.

Ike

p.s. it looks like amazon sells the basic model for $75 with free shipping, just google catfish pool vacuum

Thanks... I checked those out on Amazon just now. At first glance it looks promising (mixed reviews, though at least some of the negative reviews I can disregard because their chief complaint is that it's not big enough or doesn't hold enough charge to clean a larger pool, which is not a concern for my situation). But one review did catch my eye... it mentioned that the unit needs to be fully submerged and held at a particular angle to work, and because this pool is so shallow, I'm not sure if it would work.

--Michael

Couldn't you just brush everything into the main pool, and let that vacuum pick it up and filter it?

Leebo said:
Couldn't you just brush everything into the main pool, and let that vacuum pick it up and filter it?

Because that pool has depth (in other words, a vertical "wall" where that spillover is), I can't brush directly into the main pool. I've had mixed results with turning the pump on high and directing all the return water through the tanning ledge, and basically "stirring up" the water with the brush and pushing it towards the spillover so that at least some of the suspended dirt gets washed over. But that might end up being the best thing to do.

--Michael

I love my catfish vac, but your tanning pool might be a little shallow for it to work properly. However, water tech (the same company that makes the catfish) makes something called an Aqua Broom. I was reading the reviews on Amazon - mixed - but it does look like it might work for you. A few people said they were using it to clean fountains, and one lady said she was going to start using for her fish tank.
Do what one or two reviews said if you live where you get dust; line the bag with a nylon stocking. I use a knee high for the catfish bag, and it really helps with the dust.

Go with the aqua wand. If thats too big for the 6" depth, they make a smaller one. I believe it can be used in in 4" to 6" depth.
It will be relatively slow going with one of these, but not terrible.

It runs on 8 AA batteries. I love the thing.
I use it for my spill over spa. First I do what the user above said and push 90% of the dirt into the main pool for the robot to pick up. :lol:

mcaswell said:
Did you mean to say Aqua Broom, or is there another product called the Aqua Wand?

--Michael

No, sorry meant broom. 1 too many drinks I guess ;)

I dont have the aqua broom. I have a smaller version that I like. I got it at Island Rec.
Im not positive but it might work in a shallower depth than the aqua broom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.