Equipment Upgrade & Swapping 2 pumps for 1-Can it be done?

May 9, 2012
Elk Grove, CA
Spoke to a couple guys yesterday but figured I'de start abrand new thread to really explain some things.

So I have a typical, yet very old, equipment set up. Here's a little background (full setup is below):
32,000gal
Hayward MaxFlor 2 3/4HP Filter Pump
Booster Pump for the sweep/pool cleaner running a Polaris 380
Sta-Rite Posi-Flo 135SF Cartridge Filter

I've been concerned about the energy draw from running the pump for so long (pool company recomends at minimum 12+ hrs/day) and the booster for so long as well (recomended 2 hrs/day if heavy build up OR 1 hr/day for normal). So I was thinking of moving to the Pentair VS pump to take the place of both pumps only to realize that my 380 needs a booster. So my 1st question is this;
Can I take out both pumps and replace w/ the VS and tee the outflow line from the filter to catch the two outlets to the pool and the third outlet to the sweep (380)? It seems logical as the only use for the booster is to super charge the pressure to the 380 from the filter outlet line, right? (I hope I have that straight lol)
Somthing like this setup
PoolPlumbingDiagram.jpg

Or just get a new 2 stage pump at minumum 1hp (115V or 230V makes no difference as I would re-wire if needed).

Second question was, considering the age of my filter I wanted something that catches every big and microscopic piece of Crud that goes into the filter. Recomendations have been to get, at minimum, 200 SF cartirdge filter to replace my old one. Not a fan of the sand and the DE seems like too much maintenance. Recomendations are requested (name and models).

Here's my full setup:
image5.jpg

image2.jpg

image6.jpg

Booster Pump:
booster.jpg

booster2.jpg

Main Pump:
imagejpeg_2_4.jpg

Filter:
imagejpeg_2_5.jpg

imagejpeg_2_6.jpg

Re: Equipment Upgrade & Swapping 2 pumps for 1-Can it be don

Just a quick note...the previous owners did zero maintenance on the equipment which is why I'm asking the general question(s) about switching out some things not to mention the fixes I need ot make to the panel in front of all the equipment and the connections of the flex conduit fittings. That fix is a walk in the park. Thought I'd throw that out there prior to anyone saying "Hey you need to fix that as well" haha...I'm on it!
Thanks guys for your help.

buckley28 said:
Second question was, considering the age of my filter I wanted something that catches every big and microscopic piece of **** that goes into the filter. Recomendations have been to get, at minimum, 200 SF cartirdge filter to replace my old one.
Ansi/nsf 50 recommendations are ~237 sq. ft minimum cartridge area for your 32000 gallon pool. Mas985 recommends going 2x that to reduce cleaning frequency. See this post: http://www.troublefreepool.com/hydraulics-101-have-you-lost-your-head-t915.html#p6543

The Polaris 380 requires a booster pump and will not work with only an IntelliFlo pump. Other pool cleaners, like the Polaris 360, will work just fine with just an IntelliFlo. But an IntelliFlo can not replace a booster pump.

What are your electric rates like? Buying a variable speed pump is usually only worth it when electric rates are $0.20/kwh or higher.

It is highly unlikely that you actually need to run your existing pump as much as 12 hours a day. I suggest experimenting with shorter run times and see how things go. What matters is how the water looks, not some rule of thumb about how long you should run the pump.

Hmm OK so that plan is out the window. Seems good though as the advice is already saving me money haha
So recomendations on a new pump and filtering system (considering my pool specs and the thought of turning over the entire 32,000gal in 8 hrs. or less).

I like the Whisperflo and if you're going with Pentair, you might as well go with their Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter.

If you're determined to stick with that 380 cleaner you'll have to keep the booster pump, but that's not a problem.

A 2-speed is better than a single speed and a 1 hp full rated pump should be plenty.

It'd be nice of you'd put your specs in your sig so we don't have to search through the posts to find them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.