water test

Mar 23, 2008
hi everyone sorry I haven't been around lately. I've been shocking the living Crud out of my pool since I opened it 3/23 I bought all the liquid 10% shock that kmart had and i'm starting to see results the pool is not cloudy any more it's just hazy and my kit reading is

FC-6
CC-0
TC-6
PH-7.2
TA-80
CH-90
CYA- less than 30. On the kit as I added the water I can still see the black dot

my question is should I add the super clarifier that I got from in the swim now or should I raise the cya first?

thanks

It's highly unlikely that you will need the 'Super Clarifier' at all. I find it a little hard to believe that you've got 0 cc with the pool still cloudy :scratch: , if the cloudiness is from organics, you should have some cc --- the chlorine has obviously been working, as evidenced by the pool clearing substantially. As you already have the clarifier, you may want to use it (I'd hold off on the cya until you use it because you'll want to backwash the debris out - the cya can hang out in the filter for a week before being fully dissolved, so you don't want to waste the $ by just flushing it out.) You could forget the clarifier and use a ~ lb of DE to act as a filter supplement (if you'd like, we'll tell you more on this method).

Please keep us posted with your progress and feel free to ask all the questions you want :-D It sounds like you're very close to having your pool ready to swim in!! :goodjob:

You asked and I'll reply :wink:

You can use DE to supplement a sand filter by adding a ~ small amount via the skimmer while the pump is running. The method is to add the DE in ~ 1 cup increments (add a cup and wait ~10 min) until the pressure gauge reads ~1psi more than when you started. If you add it too fast, it will just bypass the sand and end up in the pool :( When done slowly, like this, the DE will coat the top layer of the sand and catch the smaller debris :) If you decide to go with this technique, make note of how much you use on the first try - you'll then be able to simply use the same amount on subsequent additions. (* I'm not sure if it's absolutely necessary, but you should probably premix the DE in water before adding it). The DE will be removed when you do a 'backwash', hence the reminder to keep track of how much you use each time, once you figure out how much it takes - you can just slowly add the same amount each time you need to :wink:

It's not my method nor idea, but it does work -- I hope I explained it well :!:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.