Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2007
Baton Rouge, La.
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm fighting an algae problem and have a question about the use of Flock. In reading the sticky "Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparking Oasis", in the follow up part you say, "They are an additional expense and effort, they don't always work completely, and they increase the risk that the algae will come back". I'm wondering why you say they increase the risk that the algae will come back.

Thanks,
Harry

To do a flock treatment you need to turn the pump off for 12 to 36 hours to let everything settle. If you didn't quite kill everything and there is some small patch of algae that is just holding onto life in a biofilm somewhere, turning off the pump is the best thing that could possibly happen for that algae. No circulation means that it only has to deal with the chlorine in the water right next to it's self, instead of all the chlorine in the pool, so the algae will have a much much better chance of recovering.

Most green algae isn't that hearty, most of it is usually dead well before the FC level holds overnight. But if the pool has been closed for a while and the algae has had time to really settle in and build biofilms, or if you are dealing with some of the heartier kinds of algae, then you have to be absolutely through and never give it a moment to even think about recovering.

Overall a flock treatment isn't likely to cause the algae to come back, but there is some risk.

I do have some of these biofilms I guess. Not alot but some. I can rub it with a cloth and nothing comes off. I've had the pump running for three days now between shock and bleach 80% of the patches are gone as of this morning.
I was going to post the problem and what I've done so far later this afternoon. First I've heard of "biofilms", but then again most of this is new to me.

Numbers this morning at 7AM with the TF-100
70˚
fc 8
cc 0
tc 8
ph 7.3
ta 110
ch 50
cya 90
Thanks for the help...I need it!!
Harry

I've never been a fan of flocs either.

If they (flocs) drop a really big dose of gunk onto the pool floor, you will immediately clog your filter trying to vacuum it. If you vacuum to waste over the whole pool floor, you may not have any water left when you get through.

My limited experience with vacuuming gunk off the bottom has usually resulted in dispersing 70-80% of it back into suspension in the water, pretty much taking away most advantagesw of flocculents.

Dave, you try to vacuum too fast! Slow and steady wins the race! Slow and small movements of the vachead are required when the entire floor is covered - you don't want to stir up anything that isn't being caught by the vac! It does take longer and 'waste' more water to waste, but when the floor is covered with 'crud' the extra time and water is worth it to get ~ 90% of the stuff out on the first try!! (this is NOT applicable to pools where there is a drought!)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again :wink: , If water loss is a problem - some pool co.s and some hotels have portable vac systems on a hand truck that can be rented (it's a self contained unit on a modified hand truck). For more info on them (NOT where to find one!) - just ask :)

BTW - check your PM box :wink:

HarryMichael, with a CYA of 90 shock level is a FC of 23. FC of 8 is just barely enough to keep from getting algae if you don't already have it.

Biofilms are when algae builds up a gooey layer on surfaces. The goo partially protects the algae from chlorine.

The spots are not goo they seem solid. I can not seem to rub them off. As I said, most of them are gone, just a few remain. I just pured more bleach according to your calculator.
Thanks..Harry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.