I Think I am on my way

sefrlw

Mar 25, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
Ok so I have been fighting this thing for a week now. I went and got a kit from duraleigh and I think I am on my way to a clear pool. Here are my numbers from this AM.

Pool details 21500 VL treated with Triclor and Nature2. Pool still light green and cloudy.

FC 8
CC 1.5
TC 9.5
PH 7.2 slightly low would like 7.4
TA 90
CH 410 My biggest problembut, down from 440 yesterday(rain). Not adding any Calhypo anytime soon. Will adding Baking soda hurt this?
CYA <20 but comming up with Triclor

So I ran it all through the calculator. It calls for 89oz of 6% LB I figure the full 96oz wouldn't hurt and might help the PH a little. The TA calls for 3ish lbs of baking soda to get to 100. It will also add a bit of PH. Which would you do or both? I am thinking the LB then test later today.

Muriatic acid at Tractor supply was all but gone. :poke: duraleigh beat me to it. He left me a gallon though.

Thanks

Unless you've already put it in, skip the baking soda. 90 is just fine and it will come up a on it's own if your pH comes up. If it's already in there, no real harm.

Your pH is fine @ 7.2 also....don't raise it. In fact keep an eye on it if you continue to use the pucks as they are very acidic (4.7pH)

I'd get the FC up around 15ppm. That 1.5CC indicates the need to shock. That'll really speed up your clearing process. Test again (unless you did in the last couple of hours) and then calculate enough to get you to 15ppm total. Check again tomorrow AM. Keep bringing it back to 15ppm until your pool is clear.

PM me and tell me where that Tractor Supply is. I didn't know we had one close....I just paid $6.98/ gallon @ Lowe's...HD has stopped carrying it here in Raleigh, NC....looks like a trend.

Your CH level is basically fine where it is. You don not want CH going up too much from there, but 410 is fine. Adding baking soda does not affect the CH at all.

As long as you are using trichlor I would go ahead and raise the PH a little.

just a heads up for you north carolinians (?) kroger's food store carries acid for $4.29/gal. its a bit more expensive than my local warehouse pool, which is $16/4 gals, but it beats $7/gal. also, krogers this week is having a special on clorox, buy 10 at $1.50 each and receive an instant $5 rebate, so $1/96oz or $1.33/gal. i think there are a lot of local BBB'ers in my area since all 3 times i have gone into the kroger's i have been pulliing the last bottles off the back of the sheelves. also, its a good thing to get there with little to no bleach left though, i have 3 rain checks for no limit, no expiration, $1/bottle. ill save them until im out and get another bundle.

Update:

Ok, so I added a little baking soda to up the TA to 100 and I have been adding 6% at a rate of 362 oz a night 7-8 ish time frame. All tests results below were taken just before adding LB. I can't check it in the morning or during the day so I am working it the way I can. I have also have my puck feeder running at 1.5 Hayward CL220. I need the CYA to start comming up. It was 0 day 1 but I have started to see it come up just a little bit. It just isn't measurable yet. CYA test has gone from clear to slightly cloudy. So here are my numbers for the past few days.

Day 1 FC 8|CC 1.5|TC 9.5|PH 7.2|TA 90 CH 410 --- 278oz 6% LB added for goal of 15 FC Per advise
Day 2 FC 16.5|CC 1.5|TC 18|PH 7.5|TA 110|CH NT --- 362oz 6% LB added decided to shoot for 20 FC
Day 3 FC 15|CC 1.5|TC 16.5|PH 7.2|TA 100|CH NT --- 362oz 6% LB added same goal of 20 FC
Day 4 FC 11.5|CC 2|TC 13.5|PH 7.5|TA 100| CH NT --- 362oz 6% LB added same goal of 20 FC
Day 5 FC 13.5|CC 1.5|TC 14.5|PH 7.2|TA 100|CH NT --- 362oz 6% LB added same goal of 20 FC

The pool was about the same as yours in color on day 1 duraleigh. It is now whitish gray. The CH and PH problems I had had before I started contributed to the cloudy gray color and will just take time to clear. I added a bit of clarifier last night to help just 4 oz. The CC is bothering me though. should I shoot for 25 or 30 FC or stay with 20?

I picked up my first 2 jugs of 12.5% today and will start using it tomorrow. I saw that you had a spigot for your jugs. They didn't have any more. What is the best way to measure and dose out of the big openings? I saved 2 bottles of 6% and was just going to fill them with the spigot.

Thanks all

It is very difficult to beat algae if you can only add bleach once a day.

I don't understand your chart. I take it that you measure the FC level and then add 362 oz of 6% bleach each evening? That isn't the same thing as aiming for a FC level of 20, which would require adding different amounts of bleach depending on what the FC level was.

I would turn the trichlor feeder up to it's maximum setting, if you haven't already, run the pump 24/7, add enough bleach to bring the pool up to a FC level of 15 and brush the pool each evening.

You should also keep an eye on the filter and backwash/clean the filter as needed. If you haven't been backwashing/cleaning the filter right along then you might want to do so now regardless of the pressure.

I take the test at 7 and add the bleach to take it up to the goal for the night. So day 1 was x I added enought bleach to take it up over night and the next day at 7 it was down to the day 2 reading. I guess I sould add at night and morning to keep it up for now. I have not been brushing nightly or even daily. I have brushed probably 3 times in the last 5 days. I will brush more.

I didn't want to go too high on the feeder as I did that once ond over treated with stabilizer. I guess it does not matter since I have next to nothing.

Backwash oh yeah we have to here in NC as the pine pollen is out right now and I am surrounded by Pines. It sends the preasure up in no time when in the pool.

Hey, Sef,

Yeah, that 1.5CC is bugging me, too. You have obviously reached breakpoint which should have cleared the CC (or had it test @ .5, which is as good as 0) Let's wait for one of the chem guru's to address that because I'm stumped.

EDIT: I just saw Jason's post. As far as the 362 oz, I think Sef was simply making it simple by adding 2 of the large jugs as that came pretty close to his target of 20. I do the same thing.

My pool is tracking pretty much along with yours, incidentally. It's very light grayish-green right now and I believe will be virtually clear tomorrow evening. I do not have a spigot (that I'm aware of, but I've had them in the past) I carefully pour out of the 5 gal jug for now but I'm working on a chlorine feeder that will eliminate that soon. It's almost impossible to measure accurately that way but my pool is big enough that a half-gallon one way or the other won't matter much during this process.

Well I found my CC problem. Way down at the bottom covered with calcium. I brushed for 30 min last night and the pool went from being able to see 2 feet down to green. WooHoo, added enough to get to 23 FC overnight and turned the Feeder all the way up. The pool went white overnight. I will brush more tonight and backwash when needed.

I also switched the returns to create a funnel effect to get all the debris down to the main drain. What is the proper rotation of water in the northern hemiphere for this clockwise or counter clockwise? I think it is counter clockwise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
Do you ever use non-chlorine "shock"? MPS, a non-chlorine "shock" product, can test as CC even though it isn't actually CC.

I used 2 1 pound packs of something three weeks ago. I want to say it was something dichlor ????? Other than that nothing but cal hipo trichlor pucks in my feeder and LB. No algicide for a month now.

White but clearing. I backwashed today. Pressure went up 10 psi overnihgt. I sware I can see the bottom drain or at least its silouete. FC dropped to 18.5 over night and PH went down to 6.8, triclor induced I am assuming. Making calculation now to bring it back. Waiting for the rain to stop though to test again just to make sure it is the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.