Dogs in pool, specificallly Labs

exbcmc

May 1, 2012
Arcadia, Ca
Good morning, everyone. We have just completed our re-hab of the pool and the contractor has told my wife that he would prefer we not let our dogs, labs, in the pool. Now, there swimming would only be an occasional thing, as the pool is fenced off. But my question to the techs here, would it hurt if they swam on occasion? These dogs are NUTS about swimming. We have two and they both have joint issues and it is great therapy for them. (See how I worked that in ?) :wink:
The pool has the salt system, would that be an issue with the dog hair, etc?

Bah. Let em swim!

I have a huge Shepard mix that swims his heart out. If they can hurt the plaster after its been on 30 days, then something is wrong

The hair is just a nuisance meaning you have to clean the filter more often. No harm to the swg.

Thank you ALL for your replies. I was hoping you'd ALL say that. I love watching these labs swim. Before we had a fence put up, we'd come home, at night, in the dead of winter and they'd be in the pool. Mine, which is taller than the other, actually stands in the shallow end, front feet on the coping. I want to put a pair of sunglasses on her, and place a beer next to her and take a pic.
Again, thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
YippeeSkippy said:
How do you get your dog in that first time? Mine is very leery of it but I'd love to see her enjoy it on a hot day when we're also in the pool. Do dogs know how to swim instinctively?
our two labs just took to it. I have great photos of them running and jumping in like those long jump contests they have for dogs. Now, on the other hand, my daughter has a lab that will only tip toe in. Wants no part of swimming around. I do believe, push comes to shove, all dogs can swim.

The either like it or they dont... it would take alot of work to get one that didnt like it to the point where they would jump in when you arent around.

When my daughter brought the shepard home, he took one look at the pool, then looked at her with a huge "I love you" doggy grin and literally plunged in... over 100 times that first day, and we still come out to find him lounging on the tanning shelf or sitting ont he seat in the deep end.

Lershac said:
The either like it or they dont... it would take alot of work to get one that didnt like it to the point where they would jump in when you arent around.

When my daughter brought the shepard home, he took one look at the pool, then looked at her with a huge "I love you" doggy grin and literally plunged in... over 100 times that first day, and we still come out to find him lounging on the tanning shelf or sitting ont he seat in the deep end.
I love it. Can't wait for the dogs to sun on the island! :cheers:

YippeeSkippy said:
How do you get your dog in that first time? Mine is very leery of it but I'd love to see her enjoy it on a hot day when we're also in the pool. Do dogs know how to swim instinctively?

Yep...in fact, if you hold a small dog just above the water, as soon as its feet hit the surface, (s)he'll start dog-paddling like mad. They just...know.

As for getting them in the first time...I've seen every type. I've seen the ones that just jumped in, I've seen some think about it long and hard and then take a plunge, I've seen some give it great consideration and decide against it, I've seen them flee in terror, and I've seen them act like it's not even there. While it does seem to be somewhat breed dependent, I've known labs that hated water, and pugs that adored it. Some don't like it at first, but learn to..others never do.

Dogs are remarkably like people in that regard...some love the water, some hate it, and some couldn't care less.

From a "dog person" point of view, let me say this:

I would encourage ANY pool owner whose dogs could, possibly, get in the pool on their own, to do everything you can to get them in there at least a few times. By all means...try not to make it traumatic, but if you must, even picking them up and PUTTING them in there is an option.

The reason for this is that a great many dogs..particularly those who don't natively just take to the pool...will panic if they get/fall in, and head for the nearest edge they can find, regardless. Unless they just HAPPEN to head for the steps, that's a near certain death for the dog, and potentially significant damage to your pool. If, on the other hand, they've been in there even just a couple of times, and guided to the steps or exit, they'll know there's a way out, and will find it.

You may have a wet, angry pooch for a while...but you'll be grateful if (s)he ever winds up in there without you around.

Let me first say I had a dog drown in my pool several years ago, he was old and mostly blind and aparently walked into the pool in the middle of the night. I don't know the details of what happened, as he did know how to swim, maybe he could not find his way to the steps, maybe he was just too old and crippled, maybe the shock of falling into the cold water was too much for him...

Now onward to the question about dogs and swimming, my current dog's first expereince with the pool was a negative one, when he was just a few months old I was trying to get the kreepy Krawler style vacuum to work at the start of the swim season and the dog decided to help, he jumped in from the side and came up gasping. I was able to pull him out from the side (he was still a 25-30 pound young puppy at the time, not the 125 pound dog he is today (runt of his litter)) after that it took many months to get him back in the pool, having steps helped, at first he would only go to the top step, then the second step, then short swim excursions out from the steps, now will gallop right down the steps and jump in for a swim, but is still leary of jumping in from the side of the pool. Even with his size he does not realize that he could sit in the shallow end and his head would be out of the water (barely), since his feet don't touch when he is standing.

Ike

p.s. be aware there are certain chemicals you should not use in your water if there is a chance you have pets that will drink from it, like Borates

My dog can hardly stand it when we are in the pool with out him. He loved the water and we love to watch him jump in after his ball. The only negative i have found is that his claws have scratched the acrylic decking in some spots but its an easy fix and well worth the slight hassle.

duraleigh said:
Some of those "skimmer socks" would catch the hair and eliminate that problem, too. My dog LIVES in our vinyl lined pool.

How big is your dog, and have you ever had problems with their nails on the liner?

My brother has two dogs that love to swim. I wouldn't care about them getting in the pool, except I'm worried that they might puncture the liner? They're both about 5' tall if they stand on their back legs, and they stand up in the water (neighbor's dog taught them in the lake at my parent's cabin), so I'm afraid if I let them in I'm asking for a leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.