Dogs in pool, specificallly Labs

Crud, I've started a monster! From dogs swimming, to, dogs drowning! Seriously, we nearly had an older dog drown about 6 yrs ago. She had gotten older, nearly blind and deaf. Poor thing just walked around our home bumping into furniture. One day my wife let her out, dead of winter, to go potty. Walked right into the pool. Plunk, and my poor wife jumped in after her. From that point on, we've made a point of MAKING every dog we get AT LEAST know how to GET OUT of the pool. Make them swim to the steps, so they know. We returned home one evening to find our Springer Spaniel drenching wet and the deck, in the deep end, still wet. Poor thing either pulled herself up over the coping, or as my wife swears by, our shepherd pulled her out. Sounds heroic, but don't know if that is feasible, but it sounds good. We now have 4 grandchildren and the pool is fenced off. Mostly for the kids, but it SURE has cut down on having to dry off two Labs at ten in the evening!

I just found this thread so sorry if it's a little late.

I am a Certified Vet Tech in GA. Just wanted to mention a product for dog's nails. It's called "Soft-Paws". These are soft rubber coverings that get glued (temporary) to your dog's nails.

Although I am not a big advocate of this product because of the whole "glueing something to your dog's nails" thing, I am however, a big advocate of our pets getting exercise. So those of us with vinyl liners have a worry-free solution to letting our pups in the pool.

Swimming is great for dogs that do not ambulate well and therefore cannot get the needed exercise due to arthritis or other joint and hip issues.

Caution on the chemicals and allowing your pet to drink from the pool. ALWAYS have a large fresh bowl of water nearby (in the shade) for them to drink from. It may be a good idea to put a food bowl next to it so they know that that is where they need to go to eat and drink (like they do inside).

Another great idea is to get a "Scamper Ramp" so they can get in and get out. Once you show them the way, they will adapt to it usually pretty easily.

Good luck and happy swimming to you all. That goes for people too lol.

Rhon

I forgot to mention something VERY important:

DOGS GET SKIN CANCER JUST LIKE WE DO!!!

Please watch their sun exposure! Remember that their "back" is always exposed to the sun. I have heard of people applying a hypo-allergenic sun-screen (used for people) on their pets. Please check with your Vet first as your Vet knows your pets history and get her/his approval first because pets get allergic reactions just like we do.

Thank you and I hope this helps.

Rhon

I have an above ground pool and I let my dog swim every day... he demands it. I have steps that go down into the pool and we (in about 5 minutes) 'trained' him that the steps are his home base. He dives for rings, but can only get about 1 foot below the surface so there has been no problem with his nails and the liner on the floor of the pool. We are also with him at all times when he is in the pool... if he gets too close to the sidewalls, a simple "NO' will get him to turn around and swim towards the middle or to the steps. He will jump in from the deck on occasion if coaxed, but he prefers to take off from the steps.

The skimmer socks do a great job of collecting the hair mess.

I'm trying to coax mine in, but they don't seem too interested. My boxer will walk the edge of the pool like he wants to jump in, but he's afraid to take that first step. My mastiff used to hide upstairs on the deck while we were in the pool, but she's just started coming closer. Like others have said, I want to get them in just to know whether they can swim or not and to make sure they know where the stairs are at. If they can't swim, I know to leave them in the main yard instead of letting them near the pool.
Eventually, I'll just have to carry them in. Won't be easy, they're 220lbs between the 2 of them...

Wizaugh said:
I'm trying to coax mine in, but they don't seem too interested. My boxer will walk the edge of the pool like he wants to jump in, but he's afraid to take that first step. My mastiff used to hide upstairs on the deck while we were in the pool, but she's just started coming closer. Like others have said, I want to get them in just to know whether they can swim or not and to make sure they know where the stairs are at. If they can't swim, I know to leave them in the main yard instead of letting them near the pool.
Eventually, I'll just have to carry them in. Won't be easy, they're 220lbs between the 2 of them...

They can swim! Just grab one up carry as far as you can in pool and then lower into the water and let go....have someone call them from the stairs....they'll be out of that pool quick as lightening. Of course they probably won't want to come back in but that is the chance you will take proving to yourself they can swim.

They can swim, i'd try to get them to do it on their own through coaxing with a toy or treat.

They can swim, i'd try to get them to do it on their own through coaxing with a toy or treat.[/quote]

Bacon, tried and true solution for one of my dogs that was reluctant to get into the pool. Now when I open the back door he runs over to the pool steps and stares at me until I give him the ok.

We had some trouble with our dog being shy about the pool. When we put her in, she got a scared look in her eye and went for the nearest edge. Afterwards, for a year, she would go the other way if we were in the pool.

This summer, we got her a life vest and floated her around in that for a few weeks. It seems to have gotten her past the fear bit. She now goes in on her own, without the jacket. Running around the outside of the pool barking is still her favorite, but she goes in via the steps, does a lap and comes back out to cool off.

PetSmart had them in various sizes. This one is a medium (55lb aussie/collie mix) and cost about $30. Well worth it for the amount of fun we're having.

-Paul

LiliPool.jpg

That's pretty cool, hadn't considered that.
We were swimming late last night and my mastiff slipped on the coping and fell in the deep end. She went straight for the nearest wall, opposite the stairs. She wouldn't have found her way out had I not been there. She cut me pretty good with her back claws when I got to her to pull her to the stairs. That'll set me back a ways with trying to get her in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have just joined this web site so my comments are a year out of date but no not all dogs can swim. Dogs with long backs and short legs e.g. Corgi, Dachunds do not naturally swim. Dogs who are a little fearful of the water and don't want to get in, I suggest that you buy a good fitting life jacket for it and lift it in with you, holding it close and give lots of reassurance. You may find you have to stand for several minutes in the water holding your dog and then very slowly bend your knees and slowly you will find that the dogs front legs start to move in the water. The dog may then start swimming but keep it close so that you can quickly guide to the steps and get it out. Make the experience a positive one so that the next time you try it will know what to expect, repeat the same things each time until the dog is happy swimming, then you can take of the jacket when it is swimming in the pool (unless you want to keep it safe and have it always wear one)
Tawa - Canine Hydrotherapist

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.