newbie replacing weak pool pump

May 9, 2012
I have a 26,000 gal pool w/ an infloor cleaning system (paramont). My pump is a Hayward Northstar SP4015x20. It's not giving much suction. The basket was split wide open so I'm pretty sure something got into the pump.

What would be a good inexpensive replacement pump? I know that a new variable speed pump would be ideal, but I just don't have $1,000+ now, and I really need to get some circulation going in the pool.

Thanks in advance for any help.

robles5

How comfortable are you troubleshooting/taking apart a pump? You may be able to fix it without buying a whole new pump.

Besides the lack of circulation, what else is going on? Does it sound normal? Is the motor turning but not pumping?

My first reaction, based on low flow and a broken basket, is an impeller problem. Whether it's broken or clogged up, I'd at least start there before dropping the cash on a new pump.

Add me to smykowski's excellent advice. If fixing or refurbishing fails a 2-speed pump gives you a lot of flexibility without the huge cost of a VS but smykowski's thoughts is the first thing I would pursue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.