Dallas, TX
Leslie's test results from 5/3 (before my kit arrived):

FC: 5
TC: 5
CH: 550
CYA: 120
TA: 90
PH: 7.8

Over the weekend I drained about 50-60% of pool. On Tuesday I noticed algae growing and added 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine. Nothing added since

Today my TF100 kit arrived and I tried my first set of tests (about 15 min ago).

FC: 30
CC: 0
TA: 220
CH: 750+ (added 75 drops and it was still pink!! Gave up at that point)
CYA: 100+ (mixture covered dot quickly!! WTH did the drain not help??)
PH: 7.8

I am beyond frustrated that the water is blue and clear but I have yellow algae on some walls and now lightly on part of the bottom of the pool. How did the drain not help and then knock everything out of wack? I'm overwhelmed and frustrated. Any suggestions? Another drain?

Thanks!!

Can't speak for CH, but for CYA it's likely that the drain DID help. The problem is that a) pool store CYA tests aren't necessarily accurate and b) even if it was accurate, 120 is probably the upper limit of the test. Your CYA before the drain was probably much higher than 120.

When you do your own test, do the dilution method to see if you can narrow down your current post-drain CYA number.

The drain certainly helped lower the CYA level, it is just that we don't really know what the CYA level was to start with. When CYA is over 100 it is nearly impossible to get any specific idea of how high it is. Your previous reading of 120 could have been 100 or it could have been 200 (or higher). There is no telling.

You should do a CH test on your fill water. It seems unlikely that CH could have gone up from 550 due to water replacement. Of course that pool store result might also have been wrong.

Just tried CYA test with dilution method and registered 80 so that leaves me at 160 CYA. Sounds like another drain is in my future. My CYA must have been really high. I had a pool service until this winter now im trying to take control. The water has looked so great so it's frustrating having algae grow and blue water.

Thanks!!

EDIT: Well, I see you already did this :goodjob:

Since CYA still looks to be over 100, try using a 50/50 split of pool and tap water for the CYA test and then double the test result. That should help get a better idea how much more water you should replace to get CYA in check.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.