How to make a 20x40 liner pool into a 16x36??

TroyS

Apr 10, 2012
Hi guys, new to the forum.
I have a question. I currently have a 35+ year old 20x40 liner pool. The wall are made of wood. It's an old Buster Crabbe pool. It's time to either replace the pool or fill it in. I don't have the money to pay someone to replace the pool, so the choice really is either for ME to replace or... to fill in. I've done a lot of research of pool kits from various sites (polarpools.com, Royalswimmingpools.com, sunsetpools.com and others). I watched a videos of installing kits online or had DVDs sent to me. I'm pretty handy, so I'm not really intimidated by it... however, I'm smart enough to know I don't remotely know everything about building a pool.
At first I was going to just try and buy a pool kit and replace the 20x40 pool. Now I'm thinking about trying to reduce the size of the pool. I know the walls of the pool need to rest on undisturbed ground. But, if I move all the wall of the pool in by 2 feet, once I get to the deep end, I would obviously have to build that part back up since that's where it starts to slope down into the hopper.
I talked to one local pool guy a while ago, and mentioned that I would like to reduce the size. He said it what they would do is measure down and then notch the ground out to create a little ledge. Then use cinder block to build the wall back up to the shallow end depth thus creating a new ledge for the kit walls to rest on, and the backfill that area behind the cinder block with concrete. Then I would just install the kit within that. I figure 1. I want a slightly smaller pool and 2. this way I'll already have my "overdig", and won't have to worry about trying to dig out behind the existing walls.. if that makes sense?
I guess my question is does this approach make sense?? Does it sound like a good strategy? Of all the pool projects I've seen on this site and online.. I have yet to see someone do a pool "reduction". I plan to take lots of pictures and share my "experience" on the forum for others to hopefully learn from.
Also.. if anyone has a strong opinion on a pool kit that would be great. Specifically where to buy it from. I'm pretty sure I want polymer walls, not steel.
Thanks!!

Welcome to tfp, TroyS :wave:

Sounds like quite a project, I will be interested in your progress. Unfortunatly, I have no direct experience that is even close to doing what you want to do. Hopefully someone will be along soon that does :whip:

The pool is almost 40 years old and wood. The sides are bowed. The top 2x4 that the coping sits on it rotted and it pulled away from the wall, causing the coping to come up. The coping itself is not in great shape and they no longer make this old Buster Crabbe coping. The stairs are worn and cracked. It it was just a liner problem, then that would be great for me. Then I could do like you said and just replace the liner.

wow... this does not seem to bode well for me. Thought I'd have some decent feedback. Of all the pool builders and people with years of pool building experience.. no one seems to have any thoughts. I can only assume that this isn't attempted too often, if at all.. and even more nervous taking on the project.. :(

Our pool (concrete) is 43 years old. You have my sympathies---they can be a bit of a white elephant. Have you considered finding a pre-fab fiberglass pool that would fit into your old pool? It's an idea we've tossed around many times in the past, but we don't live in a metropolitan area so our transportation cost puts it out of the question. In my ideal universe i would hire a contractor to fabricate the form and pool on-site, then fit it in. All it would take is.....CASH!

I do think this is possible. But is going to be a ridiculous amount of work. I assume you have an 8 foot deep end so that would be a big block wall. I did a DIY pool in a very misshaped hole and wish would have made it larger and ordered a custome liner. Of course you would order the liner last, which i didnt do. When talking vinyl liner pools trying to get a different size kit in a hole not designed for it is like fitting a round peg into a square hole. But I think it can be done (see "Apollo13") if you have the drive, finances, and time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.