Cyanuric Acid blues - draining pool

Apr 29, 2011
Hi all - I installed a new pool myself last May, an 18x36 vinyl liner 3ft shallow and 8ft deepend, and went overboard on the 3" Cl2 pucks. A few weeks ago my CYA level was around 150 and when I tried to drainoff the pool to replace the water my liner started to freakout and bulge and wrinkle everywhere. I only got about 1-1.5ft replaced and quickly had to start filling it and stick a vac behind the liner at one of the skimmers. So now my CYA is around 120 and wondering two things. How do I replace the water without this happening again? And, how do I get the wrinkles out that occurred the previous time?

Welcome to TFP!

You can sometimes get wrinkles out with a broom, by pushing them along. If that doesn't work, a toilet plunger, push down and then pull up and to the side, often works (though it is difficult wet labor).

You can drain down perhaps 6" and refill, repeating as many times in a row as needed to lower the CYA level. It isn't quite as efficient, but it works.

What you might want to try:

1) Put a small submersible pump in the deep end with a garden hose connected to carry the water out of the pool.

2) Cover the pool with a large sheet of plastic.

3) Begin adding water on top of the sheet of plastic, and begin pumping water out of the deep end using the submersible pump.

4) Adjust the fill speed to match the drain speed.

The plastic sheet will slowly descend into the pool as the water fills on top and drains from below. Make sure that the plastic is large enough to accommodate the full surface area + the depth + a little extra. Once you have exchanged enough water, turn off the pump and fill hose, and pull out the plastic.

If you fill and drain at the same time (at the same rate) without the plastic, it will still work, but it's less efficient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.