Replacing Sand with Cart Filter - Multiport Needed?

SteveK

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2007
Central NJ
Our sand filter is cracked and the pump seized-up, so replacing both pieces of equipment.
Replacement pump will be Pentair Intelliflo. Looking to replace the old sand filter with a cartridge filter with max flow rate so that pump can filter & run SWG @low speed.

The old sand filter had a multi-port valve that was used for backwashing, draining/winterizing, running a spa jets in the stairs & buddy seat, and of course for filtering.

Do I really need another multi-port valve (I'm thinking not). With a cart filter, there won't be any backwashing and draining/winterizing can be via the pressure release valve. Only concern is for the times the Intelliflo will be cranked-up for the spa jets -- will the extra 'push' @higher speeds be an issue for the filter cartridges or is the rated GPM on the larger cart filters (420 sqft and up) able to handle?

I plan to run the filter output to a manifold with valves to control the various returns and spa jets.

Thanks in advance for opinions or suggestions.

Nope, chop it out! If you get that large a filter, it'll handle the flow just fine; no worries.

Keep in mind that you'll still want to have some way to drain the pool if you need to, so if you don't have a sump pump you can plumb a 3-way valve to the old waste line.

Good point about draining the pool!! It doesn't happen often, but I have had that need occasionally over the years. And even though I don't hand-vacuum anymore, probably good to have that type of drain/waste ability for vac'ing to waste.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.