Replacing Gaskets for Drain, Skimmer, etc.

Hi folks.

This Spring I am (for the first time) replacing my in-ground pool liner (as I've mentioned in a few past threads about this and that).

The liner has arrived, and I think that this is the weekend I'm finally going to quit being chicken and take the plunge (heh).

I have good rubber gaskets for each of the four jet outlets, so I'm good there.

However, for the rectangular skimmer inlet, and the drain at the bottom, the gaskets aren't in such good shape.

Has anyone had any experience "making" their own replacement gaskets? That is, suppose one had a piece of thin rubber (say from an old tire innertube) and was very careful to cut something that was the correct shape and size do we think (know?) that it will work to keep the water in the pool?

Yes, I'm being cheap. But it seems to me that rubber is rubber and should work to seal thing just as well as a "real" gasket would.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for being so cheap (and also not wanting to make any more trips to the pool store for the time being...)

Mike

Well rubber is not rubber. There are all kinds of compounds. Some will stand up to chlorinated water and some won't. I'm not saying that an old inner tube won't, but are you willing to take a chance?

On an above ground pool I might be willing to take a chance but on an inground pool I think I'd want something that's sure to meet the task. The final decision is your's of course.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.