Need fan to kick on everytime solar kicks on

Dec 1, 2010
Massachusetts
I have a Prologic PS4 as well with solar connected to Valve 3. However, I am running the solar attic product in my attic which requires a fan to kick on everytime solar kicks on. Anyone know how I can wire the fan to my PS4?. I'll grab a picture later of the insid eof my box but I am assuming one of the AUX connections could be used. Just not sure how to wire it. It is currently a 3 prong that needs to run down out of my attic to the box (not an outlet).

I'd stick a relay in the fan power circuit and run the control wires to the Prologic. Much as Jason said but using a separate relay instead of running the power for the fan all the way from the PS4. Either way will work.

I have no outlet in my attic, just one ceiling light. Could I use that ceiling light as the power source for the fan and attach the relay to it? No idea how to add a relay to the circuit btw. Any tips on that? Where would the control wires tie into on the Prologic? Thanks!

ok, I just checked and do have an outlet in my attic..sweet! It is tied into the same switch box with my attic air handler but the switch does not affect anything plugged into it. Meaning I had a light plugged into it and turned the switch off but it stayed on.

So I just need to figure out what was meant by "stick a relay in the fan power circuit and run the control wires to the Prologic". Could anyone elaborate on this for me? How is this relay installed? If you see the relay connections in the pic I am assuming I wire it to the Heater 2 relay? How's the outlet in the attic then wired?

Please see the pics and thanks in advance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If there's a good route from the attic to the controller I'd just run a pair of 14 ga wires from the fan to the PS4 and hook them up to the relay in the PS4. You need to run the white wire to the fan from the receptacle and break the black wire through the PS4 relay.

Are you referring to the AUX1 connection on the PS4?
The fan has a cord attached to it now. Do I just buy a female 14 gauge wire with 2 pig tails(white/black) on it to route to the PS4?
Not sure what this means either: break the black wire through the PS4 relay.

thanks!

If you don't understand what I was talking about, then I refer you back to this.
JasonLion said:
Perhaps you should hire a professional electrical to do the work for you.
I don't mean to be blunt but, you need basic electrical skills to hook this up properly. And there's wire splicing and such you have to do.

I'll call my electrician. In the meantime, if anyone out there has any knowledge related to wiring a simple fan to the Hayward automation panel please let me know. The fan normally plugs in to an outlet but I need it to kick on every time solar is on. Thanks

It's not as simple as you make it out to be. Granted, wiring a fan to a relay is trivial, and done by science-project schoolkids all over the world, but you can't just grab some bell wire and twist them to a relay terminal and call it done.
You have a motorized fan in your 3rd-floor attic, in a location not normally accessible in day-to-day activities, which is also subject to extreme temperatures. You have a pool control at ground level. If you tried to use a pool automation relay directly, you would need at least 30 feet of wire, one way, and would be subject to voltage drop along the way. You can't just run zipcord to power a fan in this situation. If you wanted to use a second, remote relay, as has been mentioned here, you need to insure that it is enclosed or otherwise rated for use in the attic, and you still need to properly run some type of control wire to the automation controls.
I don't recommend trying to just rig something. Sorry.

I'm not trying to rig anything. I want to do it properly which is why I am reaching out to those on this forum for advise.
If someone could tell me exactly what I need to do that would be great. I have no problem running 30 feet of wire to my attic, not sure what bell wire or zipcord is though.

If you want to do it properly, you should hire a licensed electrician.

From the questions you are asking and the words you don't understand it is clear that you don't have even the most basic knowledge of electrical wiring. There are simply too many details that all need to be handled correctly. Line voltage wiring is dangerous, both to you and to the structure (because of electrical fire risks). Given your lack of background knowledge, there is no way we could explain everything you need to know to complete this project safely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.